CHINA...Scams, Scams & more Scams...the Unsuspecting Tourist


Advertisement
Asia » China » Beijing » Wangfujing
July 15th 2012
Published: July 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

CHINA...Scams, Scams & more Scams...the Unsuspecting Tourist. When I go to China...I take my wits with me...or so I think...but as I believe friendliness opens doors...I can be an unsuspecting tourist...a target for scammers...or so they think! Brushes with the Tea Scam, Art Scam, Rolex Scam, Restaurant Scam, Taxi Scam, DVD Scam, Fossil Scam...come to mind. The Fossil Scam: I am in the Ston... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

PLEASE TAKE ME TO.....PLEASE TAKE ME TO.....
PLEASE TAKE ME TO.....

Dreaming of adventures to come



15th July 2012

Good read
Thanks for the insite on Scams. Looks like an amazing trip and I plan on using your travel insight to help when I put together packages for my clients. Thank you. Shaunette www.castawaycruiseandtravel.com
15th July 2012

thanks for sharing
china ohhh china......................Hmmmm! xfil.blogspot.com
16th July 2012

wonderful job..
Nice post. It’s worth sharing... I prefer quality and excellence. So I very frequently visit this blog to read some quality content by the authors and have my accommodation in Corporatestays
16th July 2012

oh scam! they're everywhere...glad you managed to get away from it all just fine. safe travels. x
17th July 2012

THANKS TinNiE
Thanks for commenting. A brush with a scam & surviving OK usually makes for a funny or memorable experience...I was lucky on these occasions...keep safe...and I enjoy your blogs!
17th July 2012

Tricking foreigners
There is a saying in Chinese "You can always trick a foreigner." I've fallen prey to theses tricks, and I bet just about every other laowei or gweilo has too.
18th July 2012

Kuan-Yin
Thanks for the info of the Chinese saying "You can always trick a foreigner"...guess that's what they say when they see me...triples the fun!!!
18th July 2012

The scam master??
Great stories, Can't wait to get to China and get scammed. I bet that fossil takes pride of place on your mantle at home. Keep up the great work Dave..love your blog.
18th July 2012

THANKS SHELLEY & SCOTT
Glad to see I have given you incentive to visit China...I have other stories I could have shared but I didn't want to make the blog too long. The fossil is framed...yes pride of place...had a paleontologist see it but only for a second...managed to draw her away so she wouldn't look too closely...wish I had been able to afford the fossil of the two intertwined dinosaur lizards...what a hoot if I had that one to show!!!
18th July 2012

As painful as some of these scams are to read (especially those involving blocked doors, geez), I was laughing out loud at some of the run-ins you've experienced. And, let's be honest, "the second best fossil money can buy" is still quite beautiful even if it was a scam.
19th July 2012

AUSPICIOUS ONE
Delighted you have read this blog. Having met me...you can probably picture me getting into these scrapes...and then getting out! The funniest image was the senior watchmaker at his desk with monocle in one eye...head cocked up...just looking at me...probably thinking I was the only person who has brought a fake Rolex into his shop for adjustment...and a spare battery! I could see the next to nothing in the casing...and had difficulty not cracking up! I certainly did when I got out of the shop. Hope the two Ones are well & give my regards to Number One.
1st August 2012

Who ya gonna call?
A blog reading catchup over lunch had me nearly choking on my sushi laughing. The Dancing One running around back alleys and fending off scammers..... Great read :-)
1st August 2012

THANKS JO
Yep...Who ya gonna call?
1st August 2012

From the sublime to the ridiculous!
Your last China blog was about heavenly friends and places, and now we see the flip side--all part of the human condition, I guess. But I always remember (sometimes even in the midst of a mess) that "bad" experiences make great stories. And after all, isn't it better to be scammed occasionally than not trust at all? Happy travels!
1st August 2012

HI TARA
Sublime to the ridiculous...maybe next time I'll be arrested...watch this space. Looking forward to your next blog...are you still in Chile?
1st August 2012

Argentina again
Hope you don't get arrested, but I hope you have amazing adventures. I'm back in Argentina where I have a cheap hostel. I keep hoping I'll finally write a blog--wish me luck!
12th August 2012

Dave, Dave, Dave.....
...didn't your dear ol' mumsie ever tell you about going off with strange girls? ..... Yes, well mine did too, but I would have probably done the same thing as you, now that the middle age rot has well and truly started to set in ;) The Chinese send a lot of their crap our way, what with plastic candy, plastic fish, synthetic eggs and fruit and veg soaked in poisonous chemicals.... I'll stick to pizza and hamburgers thanks :)
13th August 2012

WHAT'S THAT NICK?
Going off with strange girls? Not me...I'd met them...just before!

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 18; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb