Day 3 - July 3


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Olympic Park
July 4th 2009
Published: July 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ed Nancy Cherry and MattEd Nancy Cherry and MattEd Nancy Cherry and Matt

Ed, "Nancy," "Cherry," and Matthew. These are their American names...easy to remember.
Morning we departed for a trip to Bejing Normal University, also called BNU. We learned that "normal" means teacher preparation college. We heard from several guest speakers including a professor from the Education Faculty and her graduate students. It was most impressive to hear their presentations, in English, with power point and an amazing control of the language.

It was 98 today and their version of AC is like non-existent. We were dripping by the end, but it didn't matter..they were such gracious hosts. They were so appreciative of the gifts we brough you would be amazed how thankful they were.

Attached are photos of Matthew and I when we took pictures with the guests.

After lunch, another typical Chinese meal(see photo) we went to the Olympic Village. We were able to tour the Olympic Stadium, known as the Bird's Nest and also the Water Cube - (H20)3 for you math nerds out there.

We returned by 3 pm or so and had time to rush off to the subway to go the the Hongqiao Market, also known as the Pearl Market. We had lots of opportunities to haggle fog good bargains. Matthew really got the hang
Beijing Normal UniversityBeijing Normal UniversityBeijing Normal University

beautiful college campus...one of the oldest in the country. Equivalent to Columbia University
of it by the end. The Chinese women loved him and kept calling out "hey boy, boy...come here" to try to strike up a deal with him.

We missed dinner because of our trek to the market but it was time for a break from Chinese food. So where did we go...but to McD's for a much needed quarter pounder. The burger was great but a little different from the US...this one had thick cucumbers on top with a special sauce that was spicy....really good!

In the evening we had the chance to attend the Flying Acrobats, a performance of the Chinese acrobats. The show was incredible with all the stunts you would expect: spinning plates, balancing, 10 asians on a bicycle, tumbling and feats of strength.

Head home and get to bed early because we depart for Great Wall early on Saturday morning!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Matt and Professor LiMatt and Professor Li
Matt and Professor Li

Matthew with the Professor Li, head of the Education Faculty at BNU.
Olympic Flame buildingOlympic Flame building
Olympic Flame building

really cool building constructed pre-olympics to look like flame with torch.
Indoor StadiumIndoor Stadium
Indoor Stadium

Indoor stadium at the Olympic Village


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0194s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb