Time for a bit of culture............


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Haidian district
April 20th 2010
Published: April 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I haven’t told you yet about my first visits to the two most iconic cultural sites in China- The Forbidden City & The Great Wall. There is something rather special about seeing these places for yourself, so familiar from books and films and tourist guides, there’s nothing like the real thing.

I went to the Forbidden City back in February and it was bitterly cold, which may have coloured my initial response, because I was actually a little disappointed. It is so empty and austere. It is huge in scale and grandeur and overwhelming in its own sense of importance. Courtyard follows on from courtyard, gateway after gateway, vast expanses of cold, unforgiving and uninterrupted grey stone - no trees were allowed because they would have made it easier for intruders (or would be escapees?). Everything is oversized and intended to impress and intimidate - the lions, the urns, the stairways. But there is no human element; no drapes or furniture left in situ, so it lacked a sense of romance which I had perhaps mistakenly anticipated. Maybe if I go back in summer when the one small garden, hidden at the rear, has some colour, and I visit the Hall of Clocks and the Treasury, I might be able to get a better sense of the emperors and concubines who actually populated this incredible palace and imagine it more vividly.

The Great Wall however did not disappoint. After an hour on the train (standing of course) we followed the rest of the sightseers, many Chinese, past the inevitable stalls and shops and onto the wall itself. This was at Badaling one of the most well preserved sections, where it is safer to walk. Did I say walk, it’s a climb! I was taken by surprise at just how steep. Even thought there were some steps you sometimes had to pull yourself up by the handrail and they were so off kilter that it was really disorientating. Every step is deliberately a different height to prevent intruders in the dark from getting into their stride, but it sure doesn’t help the tourists. It goes on as far as the eye can see, following the crazy loops dictated by the mountains. The icy wind blows in from Mongolia and you have to pity the poor peasants who got the job of building and manning this monolith! It really is an awesome sight and I’m afraid my photographs don’t do it justice as it was so hazy, but I will try to visit again.

I have also taken a peek at Beihei Park, Prince Gong’s Palace, Temple of Heaven ……….. but more of those in another episode

Huitou jian (see you later)



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

I woz 'ereI woz 'ere
I woz 'ere

well you have to don't you


20th April 2010

i like the pics x
16th May 2010

hi gill hav been followin yr blog looks like you have settled v well and really enjoying some exciting and fascinating things your photos are great and we can get a real sense of the places you have visited! was good to bump into olivia in plymouth last month was so surprised to see her she seems happy and settled! we have just come back from bognor regis butlins spent a few days with kathryn tim esme and oliver we had a lovely time esme is so funny now and oliver is really coming on such a sweet little baby! with luv sue xx

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb