Confucius Says...


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Great Wall of China
November 3rd 2014
Published: November 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Confucius Says…



After a buffet breakfast in the lower level of the hotel, we picked up a map of Beijing and decided to head for Wangfujing Road a main shopping area of Beijing, about 4 blocks away. It was cold, in the low 30’s with wind whipping around the buildings but fun to see all the stores. On the first corner there was a gigantic Apple Store full of people like we’ve seen in every other city. The store is attached to an indoor mall with of course, high end shops ;-) We wandered down the pedestrian mall to a large 5 story bookstore. Level 3 of the 5 stories were books in English. Everything from how to pass the SAT to Lee Child and self help books, think Dr. Phil ;-)



There were, as always, a lot of people out and a lot of military and police on the streets. Because the International Asian Pacific Economic Conference (APEC) is being held here in a few days, there is extra security everywhere. People coming in from all over Asia/Pacific countries. We wandered around about 6-7 blocks and around to the Grand Hyatt fountains on this major east/west Blvd. with 8 lanes. No one was crossing the street so we think that you needed to go underground to the subway station in order to cross under the street. We decided not to give it a try as we really didn’t know where we were nor was there any signage in English to help us. We saw only half dozen or so foreigners, clearly not a very touristy area, thus our concerns. It became clear that getting around on our own was going to be too difficult so we talked to the front desk about a cultural tour for the next day, Sunday.



8:30 Sunday morning “Adam” met us in the lobby and we met our driver Mr. Ma. We drove for about 30-40 minutes to Olympic Park the site of the 2008 Olympics with its Bird’s Nest Stadium and “Water Cube” for swimming/diving events. We could see both buildings from the car, but as soon as we got out at the gate, to go on the grounds to look around, Adam said something was wrong as there were military police all around. Turns out that the Olympic Park is closed until after the
Tea HouseTea HouseTea House

Tea ceremony
APEC Conference… total bummer;-) But we did at least get to see the venues from the outside. Really pretty impressive!



As it turns out Adam is a university grad, speaks great English and does he ever know his history and Beijing! He regaled us with stories of each of the dynasties, and the Dragon Lady. He updated our knowledge on economics, demographics and life today in China. Clearly too much to talk about here, but if you’re interested after we get back, just let us know;-)



So across and through traffic (pedestrians and bicyclists beware!) to our next stop, the Yong He Gong Temple or Lama Temple. It is one of the largest and important Tibetan Buddhist monasteries in the world. Built in 1694, it has the largest Buddha carved from a single Sandalwood tree which stands as tall as perhaps a 2 story building. In front was a sign that said that the height and that it was from one solid piece of wood, had been verified by the Guinness Book of World Records ;-) There were monks walking around, the public making offerings and wishes with incense and bowing. We have seen
Silk FactorySilk FactorySilk Factory

Making Silk Bed Covers
so many of these monasteries and each time are very impressed with dedication of these monks. This monastery is in the middle of winding street neighborhoods known as Hutongs (alleyways). Lots of little shops and places where people live in between. Very crowded with lots of rubble around as many of the homes and shops are being town down to make way for a new Beijing. We were able to visit a really local market in one of the Hutong areas. We are told these are the areas where the middle class in central Beijing live. Adam gave us a “quiz” by asking us what different types of fruits and vegetables were!



Amazingly, we knew a lot of them even if they don’t look like the ones at home. The Dragon Fruit threw us for a loop ;-)



Next was a Confucius Temple. Confucius has nothing to do with religion per se, but is about learning and education. Learning for all no matter what level in life you are born into. The temple is on a winding small street a few blocks from the Lama Monastery. Because it is simply a temple to Confucius
Great WallGreat WallGreat Wall

Badaling, China
and not a religious shrine, there were very few people there. Four courtyards and a museum around the temple and very peaceful. We jumped back in the car and a few blocks later were on a street that looked like abandoned buildings. We got out and Adam led us in what looked like an abandoned house with an old door. Thank heavens we didn’t come here on our own, we would have found it pretty scary! But, alas as soon as the door was opened it was beautiful. It was a government owned tea shop and a lovely young lady was going to preside over a tea service for us (in hopes of course that we would buy tea or teapots or ???) The little ceremony was very nice and we got to taste 6 teas. Cope decided that he would buy some tea that was good for blood pressure and some other things and I bought some tea balls that when put in a glass cup with hot water, not only makes tea but a beautiful flower appears. Sweet.



Our last stop of the day was at a government owned silk factory. We were able to see how fine Chinese silks are made and watch ladies actually making them. Clearly a stop for us to spend money (which we didn’t) but we sure learned a lot.



On the way back to the hotel we were chatting with Adam and it turns out he did his Ph.D. on Will Rogers. Yes, our very own Will Rogers. So for about 30 minutes on the way back to the hotel, he regaled us with quotes from Will. He had us in stitches. He would like to go to Oklahoma and see Will Rogers home ;-)



Since we are leaving for 7 days tomorrow and will not have access to a computer until after the 10th of November, we wanted to bring you up to date on today, Monday’s adventures, too.



This morning is the first day of our “land cruise” with Princess. There are 44 of us on 2 buses. Really nice as we can move around in the bus. After breakfast we met in the lobby with our travel mates and tour guide. We were heading to the Great Wall of China at Badaling, a 2 hour drive. We drove through city for almost an hour before heading into the mountains and countryside. As we got closer to the wall, our guide started pointing out that we could see parts of the wall high on the mountaintops as we drove along. Amazing. Eventually we entered a large parking lot, walked through a made to order little tourist town, got our tickets, through the turn style and lo and behold, before us the WALL. We could go left, the harder, steeper route, or right the “easier” route. They both looked pretty hard to us so we chose the easier route. We climbed up uneven steps and found ourselves on the top of the newest part of the wall, 600 years old! The wall stretches about 3700 miles in different pieces. The first parts of the wall to the west were built of mud so have fallen apart, but the “newer” portion is of bricks and mortar to stand through time. We walked up, up, up to the first tower with magnificent views and decided that we could do another tower or so, so kept going along with throngs of people ;-) 2 ½ towers up the Great Wall stopping to take pictures all along the way. It was very cold and the wind was whipping so we decided to head down to the Coffee Shop which is really a gigantic gift shop. Coffee was pretty darn good and we picked up a magnet ;-)



We have a really great group on the bus as everyone is prompt so time to head back to Beijing and stop for lunch on the way at a Cloisonné factory. You’ve all seen the metal beads with gold and enamel on them. This factory does beautiful items…earrings, vases, plates, beads, Chinese Zodiac animals, you name it; it can be through the cloisonné process. Many people were buying things and shipping them home, we just took pictures. ;-)



Just outside of Beijing we stopped at The Summer Palace on Kunming Lake built by Empress Dowager Cixi 250 years ago. She did everything to excess and even had the hills built to put the palace on. It is a stunningly beautiful setting with small boats out on the largely man made lake. We walked along the 2200’ lake terrace arcade and tried to imagine what it must have been like to have such an amazing place all to yourself in the summers for 46 years.



After a rest at the hotel we had a Peking Duck Dinner with everyone at a beautify restaurant. Tomorrow morning at 6 am we will be heading out to the airport for our flight to Xian and the Terra Cotta Warriors.



We wish that all of you were here with us to share these amazing sights but next best is getting to send you these blogs. We will be back online in a week….

Advertisement



Tot: 0.355s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb