Beijing to Xi'an


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Great Wall of China
May 29th 2006
Published: August 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our first destination in China was Beijing. The city is full of temples which we made every effort to see:- the newly restored Temple of Heaven with it's brightly coloured shrines, the Lama temple which is home to many monks, and of course the Forbidden City, a huge city of temples and relic museums.

We visited Chairman Mao's Mausoleum in Tiananamen Square where we were ushered quickly through, past his preserved body. We also saw Mao's huge portrait hanging on Tiananamen Gate, the entrance to the aforementioned Forbidden City.

The highlight of Beijing was undoubtedly the Great Wall of China. We visited a section called Badaling where we walked as far as was possible (only sections of the wall have been restored). It was hard work, it is very steep in places, but well worth it. The views over the rough terrain were great.

Another of Lorna's highlights was the Silk Market where we managed to snap up lots of bargains. China is a great place to shop.

Next stop, Xi'an. Our main reason for the trip to Xi'an was to see the Terracotta Warriors which did not disappoint. They were fascinating to see, row upon row of soldiers, each one slightly different from the next. It was exciting to learn that they are still excavating the site, many warriors still lay undiscovered.

Back within the city walls of Xi'an, we went to the Bell and Drum towers where we were entertained by bell and drum performances respectively. Mark had a go at ringing a huge bell and banging a big drum which he had been dying to do since we arrived.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb