Great Wall and Ming Tombs


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Great Wall of China
March 27th 2009
Published: March 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

StarbuckStarbuckStarbuck

Started our morning here. No sign of Tim Horton's anywhere, so this will have to do!
Wow! What a day we had today! This morning we saw some of the awesome sights of China, with a trip north of Beijing to see the Great Wall, then to the Ming Tombs. On our way out, we stopped at one of the larger jade factories and galleries, where we managed to pick up a souvenirs. From there we travelled further north, about 70km altogether, to Badaling, where the Great Wall is formed into a circle for extra fortification in the valley before Beijing. There were five beacon towers to the peak of the Wall above the valley. Mommom made it to the first, Dawn got 2 ½, while Thomas and I made it to the top!! I wished I had worn a pedometer to know how many steps there actually were. It was pretty steep in many places, and the steps were not at all even heights! Mom and Dawn stayed at the first tower and enjoyed 45 minutes of people watching while T and I climbed then returned. Quite a workout!

From there we travelled back toward Beijing to the Ming Tombs, where 13 of the 16 Ming Dynasty Emperors were buried, in the 15th and 16th
Chinese for "careful this drink is extremely hot!"Chinese for "careful this drink is extremely hot!"Chinese for "careful this drink is extremely hot!"

Just to confirm that we didn't simply go to Seattle, Dawn wanted you to see the Chinese characters!
centuries. We visited the Chang Ling tomb, for the second Ming Emperor, Zhu Di. He was actually the one who had the Forbidden City originally built. His Statue was in the Hall of Eminent Favour, with the traditional Imperial architecture and the 60 magnificent wooden posts holding up the roof. We climbed to the Soul Tower, where the tombstone is held, in front of the Dao Bing or the dirt mound holding his actual tomb. The 12 other Ming Tombs, all smaller than this, were spread out over the valleys around this area, which you could see in the distance from the vantage point high in the Soul Tower. Awesome view!




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Great Wall of ChinaGreat Wall of China
Great Wall of China

Awesome sight!! Our guide Gary took the family picture!
On our way up!On our way up!
On our way up!

Confucius say "Every journey begins with one step..."
OK, let's take a breather!OK, let's take a breather!
OK, let's take a breather!

Can you make out the person's jacket right behind T? A group of students from Chilliwack are on tour in China. The red headed girl ("the ginger" T says!) said she has been asked to pose for so many photos with the locals.
Made it!Made it!
Made it!

T in front of the 5th beacon tower of the Great Wall above Badaling.
And we're back!And we're back!
And we're back!

Coming back down the last few steps. Mom and Dawn enjoyed the people-watching from their vantage point on the first tower!
Emperor Zhu DiEmperor Zhu Di
Emperor Zhu Di

The Ming Emperor's Statue in the Hall of Eminent Favour in the Chang ling tomb.
Zhu Di's Soul TowerZhu Di's Soul Tower
Zhu Di's Soul Tower

The view from the Soul Tower is panoramic around the valley, and we are able to see many of the other, smaller versions of the other Ming tombs in the distance.


27th March 2009

Incredible
This is very cool! Love the photo of Thomas with his hands behind his head and the tower in the background. Jeff - you have amazing recall. You're like the Tiger Woods of travel. My travel blog would be "Today we went to Starbucks and the Great Wall. We climbed a lot of stairs and I think we ran into a Canadian named after the movie star from Gilligan's Island."
27th March 2009

Chinese Starbucks
So me and mom were just wondering what the lemon loaf over there tastes like? The same? or are there even the same kind of treats or is it more like crab ovaries cookies. Delish. The great wall looks huge. Reminds me of climbing up the tower at Vatican. Or not. But your trip looks amazing you better have some more pictures to show us when you're home, glad to know none of thomas's will look like my poses. Miss you all and love you!

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb