Tian An Men, Forbidden City, and the Temple of Heaven


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Forbidden City
September 17th 2012
Published: September 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Forbidden CityForbidden CityForbidden City

The door to get into the Forbidden City - pretty big
This weekend was very productive in the way of seeing some tourist hot-spots. We had one of our long weekends, so we were able to leave for Beijing on Thursday morning, as opposed to Friday night.

Friday, we got a bit of a late start, so we didn’t want to go to any attractions that had a closing time. Thus, we did the entrance to the Forbidden City and Tian An Men Square. The entrance to the Forbidden City is so imposing! The walls are so high, which is good when you want to keep out invaders. There’s also a giant picture of Mao when you are walking in, which makes a great photo opportunity.

Then we walked over to Tian An Men square. The area is so nice! The square is much bigger than I imagined, and mostly open space in the front. Towards the back of the square there are some monuments, and the Mao memorial hall, where you can still see him preserved. We were too late to go in, but when Mom comes, I definitely want to do that.

After Tian An Men we sort of stumbled onto this area called Qianmen which is “old Beijing”. It was a street that had been modeled to look like Beijing used to. Of course, instead of finding old-time stores and homes in the buildings, there were things like Starbucks, McDonalds, and H&M. There was one store that had been there since 1911, a hat store, and that felt very historic.

On Saturday we got a much earlier start and went to see the Temple of Heaven. The weather the entire weekend was so gorgeous, so we wanted to do sights that were outside. Save all those museums for the winter! The Temple of Heaven is situated inside of a park, so the entire area is really relaxing. There is an area in the park that has never been destroyed or re-done, and it has 900-year-old Cyprus trees growing there. Pretty cool.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Forbidden CityForbidden City
Forbidden City

Really huge walls
Forbidden CityForbidden City
Forbidden City

The guards actually live inside the Forbidden City
Tian'anmen SquareTian'anmen Square
Tian'anmen Square

These people really wanted some shade....
Tian'anmenTian'anmen
Tian'anmen

This is mile ZERO where every road in China is considered to start.
QianmenQianmen
Qianmen

Thank goodness that 'M' is the same in every language
QianmenQianmen
Qianmen

some fried snacks. Couldn't bring myself to try anything
QianmenQianmen
Qianmen

fried scorpions
QianmenQianmen
Qianmen

Old Beijing
QianmenQianmen
Qianmen

giant chopsticks
Temple of HeavenTemple of Heaven
Temple of Heaven

A 900 year old tree
Temple of HeavenTemple of Heaven
Temple of Heaven

Here we are on our way into the Temple of Heaven


17th September 2012

Pictures, yeah!
The snack part was gross but I like the rest of the pics.

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb