Forbidden City - Reasons to go there


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Forbidden City
June 23rd 2008
Published: June 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

What an impressive piece of history the Forbidden City is. This place is very cool and i bet you will like to go this place too.

The scale of the "city" (or palace) was incredible.

OUR IMPRESSION


The architecture was amazing, with the Forbidden City containing a succession of huge courtyards flanked by high red walls, with large, ornate bulidings and gates dividing up the sections. Along the way we got to see some of the ancient sculptures, which were carved into stone along the sets of stairs leading down into the courtyards.

During the first half an hour or so of our visit, Sabine and I had trouble finding ourselves on the map in the brochure. We figured we had been walking for quite some time and thought we were probably about halfway down the western side. I finally found our position: we were still in the upper northwest corner and had hardly made any progress at all.

That was ok, but we also realized that we had to pick up the pace if we were to see much during the three or four hours we had planned for the visit.

TIPS


The Forbidden City is located right in the middle of Beijing - in the heart of the city. It is also known as GuGon or as the Palace Museum

Get there when the gates open (around 8.30am) if you want to walk through the vast and spectacular courtyards in relative peace.

See my full post on the Forbidden City



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb