Another week another lesson learned


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Feng Tai District
September 22nd 2006
Published: September 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

The daily commuteThe daily commuteThe daily commute

Today I took a taxi to the doctors to find insulin. I took pictures from the car window. As we sat wedged between a bus and a bike and a horse drawn cart the driver commented " In China everyone fits."
I succesfully completed another week of classes. I think I am getting better. Although I got a call last night at 9pm telling me my 10am and 2 pm class was canceled. No explanation just canceled. Determined not to let the very rowdy middle schoolers control my classroom today I laid it out for them that if they did not listen and speak up in class i was going to bring in the chinese teacher. That shaped them up real fast. They are very good for their Chinese teachers. One student told me that when he was bad he had to walk around the playground all day in imatation of the long march. But I don't want my students to be scared of me. They can't be scared because its a conversational class they have to speak or i can't grade them. Today i did lock the door and when two of the boys did not return from break with the rest of the class they had to go get the headmaster to let the back in.

Learning Present Past and Future
Me: What are you doing today?
Student: I am doing my homework
Me: what did you do yesterday?
The daily commuteThe daily commuteThe daily commute

I like being able to bike every where but I am going to have to buy more pants. Yesterday I went to bike to school and had to turn my skirt around backwards so I was sitting on the slit.

Student: I studied
Me: What will you do tomrrow?
Student: I will read my homework.
They live at school and all they do is study.

I have been sick this week so I have been resting at home and not going out much. I a very bad head cold. Really bad headaches and unable to breath at night. Steven says it is because I run the fan at night. And that I should take some Chinese "Manythings" I really did not want to it scares me. But willing to try anything Stevens wife brought me Chinese medicane. I don't know if it was the thought of having to drink any more of the horrible liquid or what but I drank it and 30 minutes later I felt fine and I could breath. You have never tasted anything so foul.


Staying in the bed as much as possible this week I finished reading Derek Princes book Prayer and Fasting. If you have not read this book you should. It has changed my life. I wish I could write more freely how this book has affected my life. As I read it I realized how little I understood of
The daily commuteThe daily commuteThe daily commute

Looking down the side of Tianamen Square you can't see very far because the pollution is so bad. I can't wait for it to get cooler so I can close my windows and not have to clean my floors of soot everyday.
fasting and how the principles laid out in the book I saw manifested naturally while in Columbia and meeting above the shack. We come together so often to eat but how often do we collectivly fast. I never understood fasting until now. I am rereading it and I am going to start fasting when I feel better.
I have also started reading A testament to freedom. Thank you Bjo Dan and Hope for the wonderful letters. It was so good to open the cover I had not seen them before now. I am commiting to memory one of Bonhoeffers poems.

Hopefully next week I will feel better so i can go out and look around more but I have been blessed to stay in and read and still be well enough to teach.






Advertisement



22nd September 2006

encouragement
i was very encouraged today reading your journal tricia. thank you. life can be hard but the hardness is sweet sometimes. i will read the prince book on fasting. have a good day. cheryl
22nd September 2006

your health sister
just wanted to make sure you were doing well w/ the diabetes and if you need prayer for that or what? my brother hasn't been doing well, but you seem awesome love you take care!! i'll send you a letter soon..amy leaves next week..maybe you guys can visit each other
22nd September 2006

Hey Trisha! I'm sorry you're feeling bad. I'll be thinking about you and praying as I know it's rough to teach when you're feeling sick. The pollution DOES look kinda scary. To me, it just looks like a foggy morning. Did you find insulin? Have you heard of Goji juice yet? I'd love to tell you more about it. It's a chinese health drink.... www.gojistories.com and it's helped more people with diabetes..... My mom was healed of hypoglocemia. So, we're all drinking it over here. :)
22nd September 2006

Go Trisha!
Hey woman! I am so prou of you. I'm sorry you are not feeling well and hope you get better soon. I'm thinking of you and praying for you often. It sounds like you have a made a home quickly. I know it is so different but you sound like you are embracing every moment. Keep it up and I love you and what you are doing. Peace, Amy
23rd September 2006

yeeeaaaah!
Trisha- ii'm just so proud of you! i can hardly believe how brave you are. i'm glad you found the letters in the book. i miss you.
23rd September 2006

Chinese Medicine, Prince book
Trisha, Your experience with Chinese medicine is universal. It works every blessed time, and it tastes like stale sewage. I took some here in USA that Zhou Sai Jing gave me, and came within an ace of throwing up. One-half hour later, no headache, sinus problems, or stopped nose. I'm surprised you have the Prince book over there. That book really affected me, too, years and years ago. I petitioned for Reagan to be elected every day for eight years, and for four years after that, petitioned and fasted weekly for him. I know the Prince book had a lot to do with that.
25th September 2006

pretty cool!
Hello Trisha! I love your pictures. We showed them to the kids. Sounds like you are adjusting very well. The boss must be tuned in! I am so curious about schools in China! I have often wondered about behavior and class control methods over there. I picture perfectly obedient kids that are so serious and never get out of line and they all make straight A's. Guess not! I wonder if behavior problems have escalated as they have in America---like 50 years ago the worst crime was chewing gum and talking too much in class, and now we worry about gunmen and heroin pushers. Well, it sounds like you are doing better at controlling 300 kids that you can barely communicate with than I could with 30 Kindergartners who couldn't spell their own name! I'm sure patience seems an illusive virtue to you right now, but don't give up! (What choice do you have-huh?) We'll be referring you to the Boss! We love you.
26th September 2006

hey trisha, glad you`re able to keep your class under control. The great wall looked pretty wicked awesome too. Everything in Japan is going well :) Also, I must say your blog`s format is rediculously better than mine,, I should have come to this site, but I`ve already started my own and I`m too lazy to move all my pics and such now. I was wondering, could you perhaps do me a small favor? If it`s not too much trouble, could you bring me back a little souvenier? I was kind of hoping you could bring me back a bit of earth (aka, dirt) from China,, just in a smal baggie perhaps. Looking forward to seeing you back in Columbia- take care Trisha, joey
27th September 2006

I am amazed
You are amazing! I literally can't believe you are doing all that you are - teaching 300 students for the first time, some of them you can't even communicate with, visiting with kids in a foster home, riding a bike around Beijing (which seriously needs to do something about their air quality) - you inspire me to live life to the fullest! I want to read that book you mentioned...I like what you said about fear...I tell Chris all about your blogs, and he thinks you're amazing, too... We missed you at the wedding! But when you look at pictures, I'm sure you'll get the general idea =) love you lots, Tara
28th September 2006

Hey Trisha!
Hey!! I've just gotta say thanks for writing on your blog so often. It really helps me keep in touch with you in my mind. (thinking of you often) Are you better from your cold yet? I thought it was hilarious how Joey didn't ask for any other suveniour but some DIRT from china. :) I'm sure it'll just take you a couple full sweepings in your apartment in the mornings to begin filling it up. :) I'm sure you'll be glad when the weather changes. Well, I love you very much. Gotta get going. Ally

Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0657s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb