last days in hk


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Feng Tai District
September 25th 2007
Published: September 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

the barbecuethe barbecuethe barbecue

this was the beginning of the barbecue, made in a rusty little weber we found outside the flat, which sparked the whole idea of barbecu-ing...
haha!

i'm writing this from beijing, but i'm going to save that story for the next entry, because i want to get in a quick one with the photos from our farewell barbecue - yes, that's right, very aussie of us, on sunday arvo we had a farewell barbecue at the sai kung flat, which doubled as a housewarming for mickey and jess as well.

despite the category one typhoon (which made it rain intermittently, and provided some welcome cool winds), about six of our friends turned up to cook food with us all afternoon and celebrate. there would have been more, but unfortunately some of our mates, kathy and tat, were kicked out of their flat and had to move out that day, meaning that the street art crew were busy helping them with that. adam, from spermatic chord, was sick with the flu, bea was looking after her grandmother, and brendan was packing for his own adventure (he's off to australia, yay! if anyone sees him around, be sure to make him feel welcome. i've given him a huge list of perth/aussie bands to go see, usually accompanied by stories about how i know the band personally
jamminjamminjammin

mickey and hoi chiu having a sampler/melodica jam whilst kt and maggie draw on the wall in the background.
and all that..... i'm such a music nerd. anyway).

the people who came were; maggie blue and hoi chiu, from vancouver and hong kong respectively, a husband-and-wife theatre group. hoi chiu makes amazing masks and is a great artist, and maggie is a talented singer and dancer; they're both awesome actors and lovely people to boot; annsofi, the french girl i went to lantau with recently; will and she-k, two local musos who we met near the start of our stay but haven't seen in a while; and kachun (who has again provided me with some cool photos!).
people arrived around three, and we set the barbie up. the barbie was a rusty little old weber we'd found out the front of our flat, and we had our doubts about it, but we managed to get it going, and it worked pretty well! we kept it going until around 11pm, when, after everyone had gone home, mickey cooked the last of the meat up and sat happy and extremely full (slightly stoned from too much food, i think - as we all were) and ate it like the garbage guts he is.
in between was much eating and drinking
contemplating the wallcontemplating the wallcontemplating the wall

me contemplating the wall, in particular the huge c**t-tree i drew. annsofi is the blur just in front of it.
and making merry, and wall-decorating, jamming and chatting, as well as some hair-cutting - kachun arrived, and asked me to give him the haircut i'd promised (after making sure i wasn't drunk. actually i wasn't drinking that night; i need a break after thursday's antics - see last entry). by all accounts the haircut looked good, and a lot less radical than most of my haircuts (i am capable of it!)

it was a really lovely evening/afternoon - kinda felt like christmas or something, all the family getting together and eating and celebrating. a nice end to our time in hong kong.

and now, beijing! more about it later when i have some photos to post, suffice to say there have already been some adventures, the 24-hour train ride being one of them.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

the finished wallthe finished wall
the finished wall

this is the wall as it ended up. the giraffe-thing was already there, but most of the drawings are from that night.
the haircutthe haircut
the haircut

hoi chiu's interpretation of me giving kachun a haircut


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb