Beijing Underground City


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Changping
June 24th 2007
Published: June 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

History lesson.
During the American and Soviet Union cold war, China's relationship with the Soviet Union was also frosty(you like it?). So much so, that Chairmen Mao and his communist party decided to build many underground cities all over China.
I was suprised by this considering that both China and the Soviet Union both had communist goverments at that time. Also because China inclosed itelf for many years to the rest of the world.
Beijing's underground city alone can hold 300,000 people. If you put all the tunnels in China together, they will strecth for longer than the Great Wall. The entrance was in a small Huntong that was located not far from the Forbidden City. It was difficult to locate as it was only a small door with the english sign written on a small piece of paper attached to it. It didn't help the fact that most of the surrounding area was being knock down to make way for some new housing for the olmpic games.
The city is over two levels. The first is 8m underground and the second is 18m under. Inside the city there is a hopsital, cinema(not in use) and many small temples. The bottom level is were all the living quarters are. However the public is not allowed access to it for safty reasons. In all you only get to see a small part of the entire complex. Army guards are still stationed and some points and no photography was allowed. You must also be accompanied at all times. The tour lasted for 30mins and my guide spoke some English. In all it was interesting, but it could have been so much better.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.069s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb