Huangshan and Ancient Villages Xidi and Hongchun (Part 4 of 13 Days Tour)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Anhui » Huangshan
February 20th 2010
Published: February 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This stop in Anhui is the most exciting as the Huanshan and Ancient Villages are all famous international sites with UNESCO World Heritage status.

The Huangshan City area (including Wuyuan) belonged to the rich merchant groups in old Huizhou that were very active from the Tang to Qing dynasty. With the riches, they built villages that were well designed, nicely decorated and included safety features to protect the family member since the men were not at home for long periods of time because of their trading business.

On the first day, we visited Chenkan Ancient Village which was recommended to us by the taxi driver. This village is privately managed by the villagers and is not featured in official tourist sites.

We had planned to visit Huangshan on the second day but it was snowing there so we toured Xidi and Hongcun Ancient Villages instead.

The Villages are quite typical in design with high walls with no windows, use of terrain to collect water and Hui style architectural.

We finally went to Huangshan on the third day. Huanshan is famous for its pine trees, hotsprings, interesting granite formations and cloud seas. It was the toughest of the 4 mountains. There are several peaks and plenty of steps to climb. We managed to complete one of the routes which have the most attractions.

On the 11th day of our tour, we headed to Hangzhou in Zhejiang Province.

The other entries about this trip can be accessed from here:-

Nanchang and Longhu Shan (Part 1 of 13 Days Tour)


Lushan and Jingdezhen (Part 2 of 13 Days Tour)


Wuyuan and Sanqing Shan (Part 3 of 13 Days Tour)


Hangzhou (Part 5 of 13 Days Tour)


Note: The contents (text and photos) of this article remain the copyright of the Author, Jenny. Under no circumstances should the photos or text be used without the express written permission of the Author. Please contact the Author by leaving a message if you wish to use or publish photos or text from this article.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



23rd February 2010

The land of Paradise
The place looks fascinating...I'll make sure my China Travel Service provider includes Anhui in the tour package. Thanks for sharing all this amazing photographs!
24th February 2010

I hope the info is helpful to you and happy holidays in China

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb