New Clothing


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
February 10th 2014
Published: June 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 12.5657, 104.991

Yesterday the children all received new clothes, donated by volunteers and their families, organizations, and good-hearted people. The clothing is organized into plastic bins, based on sex and size. The children's sizes are roughly guessed at since these active Cambodians run wiry, strong, and small. Ten year old boys fit size 4 underwear; one 17 year old girl is so tiny she wore a size 18 month dress as a top. The exchanging of clothing is very festive; the children throwing old, outgrown, dirty pants and shirts in the discard pile and looking through bins and bins of exciting new clothing reminded me of shoppers at Filene's Basement, a discount store in Boston where clothing is jumbled together in large piles, and people root through, looking for hidden treasures, even wedding gowns. Someone who obviously understands children donated miniature tutus, pink and blue. One very little girl put two on, and coveted them so much she tried to hide them under a new dress to make her thieving escape. But she was caught and had to return both tutus to the dress-up basket. (She kept the new dress.)

Sharing can be a hard lesson to learn when you are small and want something dearly and exclusively. My mother used to tell a story about a very little girl, two years old, who loved her little wooden rocking chair so much that when her siblings or other children came over she just sat and rocked in her chair until they left. You can guess who this little girl was, but I think her behavior showed appropriate strategic cognitive skills for a two year old. She is much better at sharing her rocking chair now.

But I see the kids share things here everyday, sometimes even the little ones. They'll spoon some of their food into a friend's bowl, and drink from the same cup or water bottle, or give a friend a ride on their bike. But they also fight, and take things from another if that someone isn't looking. They are kids, growing up in a community rather than in nuclear families. They aren't perfect; no child--or human being--is. With almost 50 brothers and sisters they always have someone to play or fight with. Picture a childhood growing up like that!

They are never alone, unless they choose to be. I watch the ones who are by themselves more often than not, wondering if that's what they want, or why they are not playing/sitting/fighting with the other children. Older children who come sometimes take a while to find where they fit in, but it is not so difficult for the new little ones to find a place in the hearts of others. The babies and toddlers are carried and fed and cared for by everyone; if they cry some older child or adult quickly scoops them up. But for a new 7th grader who just came it is a different story. He has been here a week now, but whenever I see him he is not smiling; he is always alone. Perhaps when I don't see him, when he is at school or in the boys' dorm, maybe he is happy and included then, or maybe he is just a very quiet and self-contained soul. It's hard being 13 or 14 anyway; imagine being that age and having your life altered so completely. But over time I'm sure he'll find his way. It's much easier for the extroverts or for the kids who come with their siblings; they have a built-in support system, either in their magnetic, outgoing personalities or in their brother(s) and sister(s). Most make the adjustment and then living here becomes the norm, their life. And, basically and ultimately, it's a good one.



Advertisement



16th February 2014

Hi Laura,Thanks so much for sharing this. What a great way to share some of your time.Ken
16th February 2014

Hi Laura, Loved this post from Chambauk. Wow, travel does open up the traveler's eyes to what is strange, rare and peculiar in a give set of circumstances. I have grown up in a culture that cannot exist without a generous spirit of sharing
. In some places on earth sharing is not dusting off the crumbs from the table so that the other person can taste the food. It is actually, "Giving" from one's heart, something special, or mundane, when one's own existence depended upon it. That generous 'giving' changes the life of the recipient once and for all. Laura, never stop watching, learning and growing...and you never will - because guess what you got?? "Travel-bug" Love and hugs. Vatsala.
17th February 2014

Love hearing about your adventures. I know it is nice and warm where you are as we just freeze and shovel snow. I know it will stop some day. I know what you mean about children sharing but remember you first must have something of your o
wn before you can share. Kids do adjust much better than we do. love
17th February 2014

Laura...With delight I continue to read your blogs and cannot wait to share this one with my 12 yr. old granddaughter, Addie, who is at that stage of questioning sharing, etc. I want her to understand about others in this world and how for
tunate she is. You are an angel with your loving giving and observations..can't wait to hear more. Be safe!
17th February 2014

Laura, you have taken what would be a very sad and ugly situation to most of us and made us see the beauty in it. What a rare gift you have, me dear.
18th February 2014

I'm enjoying your blog, what a wonderful thing your doing. I'm so happy your sharing your experience.

Tot: 0.198s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 41; dbt: 0.086s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb