Goodbye to Siem Reap


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
December 5th 2016
Published: December 11th 2016
Edit Blog Post

This was the last day and it wasn't easy to choose which temples to visit. A return to Angkor Wat was the priority because our first visit on the first day did not allow enough time. Today we had a new tuk tuk driver because Mr Che was busy with another client.

At Angkor we focussed on the bas-reliefs, following the helpful guidebook. There were no big tour groups so we were able to enjoy them in peace. The scenes included famous battles, a heaven and hells scene, ramayana scenes, and the churning of the milk. The quality of this work with the drama, movement, and the facial expresssions is the best of all the temples (a mon avis). The carvings are helpfully shaded by corridors so there was no problem with the sun. We also took time at Angkor to admire the apsaras, well lit in the early morning light. On the way back to the tuk tuk we stopped at the blue pumpkin cafe (familiar to Mum because she had a cup of tea here when I was running yesterday). Mr Oud, our new tuk tuk driver was patiently waiting.

For the afternoon I chose two temples from the northern group. We decided to keep going without a siesta at the hotel because it was the final day. The first was a large temple, Preah Khan. This temple was not busy and it shares a number of characteristics with other temples we had seen. It was a good temple to see on the final afternoon because comparisons could be made with the busier temples. For example the naga balustrade is similar in design to Angkor, there are large tree roots similar to Ta Prohm, and boundary posts similar to Banteray Srei. The temple has an unusual feature, the hall of dancers, so called because of the friezes of dancing asparas. The final visit was to Neak Pean. This is a distinctive temple set on an island surrounded by ponds. There is now very limited access to the site, so the visit is rather limited and the late afternoon lighting was not perfect for photos. Parts of the temple reminded me of UK national trust properties (those with follies).

We spent the last evening in the hotel, enjoying the pool and restaurant.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0686s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb