Day 4 & 5 Update


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
August 29th 2013
Published: August 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Day 4 Phnom Penh to Kirrirom 162km, Saddle time 7hrs 48 mins, Avg Temp : 34 deg

Today we left Phnom Penh at 6:45am back into the mental traffic. It was so exhilarating! 50k to breakfast at Kampong Speu – the last 30k was tough - followed by 112km off road on dirt tracks to Kirinom. Trip into the pharmacy by the support team to buy extra rations of nappy rash cream (much needed), Vaseline and Nurofen – oh the cycler’s life is a sore one !

Highlights : I lost sleep over this ride as I thought I was no way capable of over 100km off road. How wrong I was. The scenery in rural Cambodia surpassed anything we had seen so far. And the roads were amazing, Some were “red roads of hell” in the heat, but they were interesting and fast enough to keep the energy levels up. Overall the best day so far. To quote my husband – “The best day on a mountain bike ever”.


Day 5 : Kirrinom to Sihanoukville. 154km, Saddle time 6hrs 52 mins, Avg Temp : 25 deg



Two words – Windy and WET. Fighting to climb the initial hills in the strong headwind, followed by almost 7 hours of relentless monsoon rain ! It was great to feel cool, but it was reminiscent of our wet windy days in the Scottish hills. Amazing to watch how quickly the fields flood over here, and how the scenery can change so much.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb