Cambodian Sights


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
May 22nd 2010
Published: May 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hey,

unsere zwei Wochen in Kambodscha sind wie im Flug vergangen. Nachdem wir uns die Tempel von Angkor angschaut hatten, haben wir einen Bus nach Battambang genommen. Dort haben Elaine und ich an einem Kochkurs teilgenommen bei dem wir unsere eigene Curry Paste hergestellt haben! Es war interessant zu sehen welche verschiedene Gewuerze da alle drin sind.

Von Battambang sind wir mit dem Bus zur Hauptstadt Phom Phen gefahren. Da es in Phom Phen (wie in allen anderen Staedten in Kambodscha) keinen oeffentlichen Nahverkehr gibt und wir auch keinen Tuk-Tuk Fahrer mieten wollten (Tuk-Tuks sind eine Art Taxi, bei dem ein kleiner Anhaenger mit zwei Sitzen von einem Motorrad gezogen wird) haben wir uns Fahrraeder gliehen. Allerdings haben wir das schnell bereut. Der Verkehr ist chaotisch, staendig fahren Roller an einem vorbei, teilweise auch als Geisterfahrer am Fahrbahn Rand. Dazu sind die Strassen oft in schlechtem Zustand und die Sonne brennt unerbittlich.
Ansonsten ist die Stadt aber sehr interessant. Auf dem ersten Foto koennt ihr das Monument der Demokratie sehen. Das zweite Foto zeigt ein Gebaeude beim koeniglichen Palast. Ausserdem gibt es ein Mahnmal zum Gedenken an die 2 Million Menschen, die waehrend der circa vier jaehrigen Khmer Rouge Herrschaft ums Leben gekommen sind (damals war das ein Viertel der Bevoelkerung).

Nach Phom Penh sind wir nach Sihanoukville gefahren, welcher ein Badeort am Golf von Thailand ist. Auf dem dritten Foto seht ihr mich am Strand mit einer gruenen Kokusnuss. Nach einem Tag am Strand, bei dem ich mir trozt LSF 50+ Sonnencreme und den ganzen Tag im Schatten einen Sonnenbrand geholt habe (arrg), haben wir an einer Tagestour durch einen nahen Nationalpark teilgenommen. Das letzte Foto wurde dort aufgenommen.

Wir sind jetzt wieder in Phom Phen, werden aber uebermorgen nach Vietnam reisen.

Viele Gruesse,
Patrick




After a quick stop-over in Battambang to take a Khmer cooking course (me, cooking....hilarious!), Patrick and I headed to the heart of the country to visit Phnom Penh. There we saw the Monument of Democracy
(picture 1) the National Museum, and the City Palace. The second picture was taken from inside the small section of the City Palace grounds which are open to the public. In addition, we also visited the very recent scars of the past. I wasn't very familiar with the Khmer Rouge and their actions, but after visiting the Tuol Sleng Museum (a school that was converted into a prison and place to torture people) and the Ek Choeung Killing Fields, I definitely feel that I know a little more about what transpired during those years. Although some effects of the genocide are still clearly visible (i.e. ~40% of the population are under 15 years of age), it's very impressive to see how the people have managed to survive and rebuild their lives and cities in only a very short 30 years.

After the intense experience of visiting the capital, Patrick and I decided that we need some time to relax. We headed south to Sihanoukville, the largest city on the southern coast, for a little "beaching action". The next four pictures pretty much summarize our daily activities. We drank fruit shakes, swam in the beautiful ocean, lazed around on pristine white sand, and enjoyed some beers watching the sunset. Tough work I tell you! But somehow, we made it through and also managed to squeeze in a boat ride through a mangrove forest in the the Ream National Park.

Now for those of you who know Patrick and I well, you must also be familiar with our minor disagreement regarding the weather. Patrick always thinks the weather its too hot, and I prefer more sun. As we
wait for the arrival of the monsoon, I have to admit that I often agree with Patrick. I have never EVER been so hot in my life. The sun literally burns you on the spot if you're out there for more than 15
minutes, even with SPF 30+. It's simply madness!! Will the rain ever come.....?

We are now enjoying our last Amoks and Lok Laks (Cambodian dishes) and looking ahead to Vietnam and the return of public transportation. There isn't a single local bus in any of the cities in Cambodia, not
even the capital, and the thousands of tuk tuks and motos that clog the streets every minute of the day are getting a little annoying.

Elaine



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb