How To Deliver Eggs in Cambodia, and other useful instructions


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
March 11th 2009
Published: March 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

(Travelblog doesn't allow me to place photos exactly as I want, so please forgive the lack of synchrony)

How to deliver eggs in the rain in Cambodia:



1. Put on a plastic rain poncho. (Pink is a good color.)
2. Gather up a few layers of eggs in open flats of 2-3 dozen eggs each
3. Get on your moto, balancing the eggs in one hand (Prior training as a waiter may be helpful.)
4. Off you go!

Personally, I think that when The Amazing Race filmed an episode in Cambodia, this would have been a great task for contestants.



How to make friends with tourists if you’re a Cambodian:



1. Notice when you see the same white people riding by on their bikes or buying fruit at your stall.
2. Ask them if they live here now.
3. When you say goodbye to them, add, “See you tomorrow!”




How to deliver a live pig to market in Cambodia:



1. Get a large, live pig.
2. Have several friends help you hoist it onto your moto, belly-up.
3. Tie it on.
4. Off you go!

Maybe this would have been an even better task for those Amazing Race contestants. They could have chosen between “Don’t scramble the eggs” and “Don’t drop the bacon”!




How to be a good teacher in Cambodia:



1. Study hard, finish high school and teacher training, and learn some English.
2. Save your money and buy a moto so you can get to the school to work.
3. When your younger sister needs school fees to finish high school, sell your moto to pay her fees, and walk the seven kilometers to school every day.
4. When solar equipment is delivered to the school, sleep on the floor at the school every night to protect it until it all gets installed.

(A teacher at Tchey school named Rithy has done all of the above.)





How to paint a school in Cambodia:



1. Buy a five-gallon bucket of paint and some rollers.
2. Go to the forest and get some sticks to tie on the roller handles.
3. Study Jackson Pollock.
4. Dip your roller in the bucket of paint and attempt to get some paint on the walls.




How to be a

really cute kid in Cambodia:

1. Be born in Cambodia.
2. Hope that Angelina Jolie doesn’t come adopt you and take you away to be cute somewhere else.






How to get home from school if your bike breaks:



1. Look sad and stare at your bike until the principal notices that you’re the last kid in the schoolyard.
2. Watch the principal and a teacher try to fix your bike with a hatchet and a big honkin’ screwdriver.
3. Look sad and worried some more.
4. Get on the principal’s moto with the principal, the teacher and your broken bike.
5. Smile all the way home on the moto. (See photos below.)




How to wash a chicken:



1. Assemble a rooster and two plastic bowls of water.
2. Lovingly lather your rooster. (See photo below)

(I don’t know why you need to wash roosters, but there must be a good reason that just isn’t obvious to me…)




How to use a toilet correctly:



1. See photo below: it’s self-explanatory. Though I bet you didn't think you needed instructions at all, did you?




How to blog about a trip:



1. Write obsessively about every little thing that happens for the first two weeks of your travels.
2. Take endless photos of cute kids, monks, pigs on bikes, and strange foods in the market
3. Post blog entries and check every day to see if anyone has left any comments.
4. Drink a lot of beer and start forgetting to take your camera everywhere.
5. Settle in enough that every day is NOT a totally novel experience and decide to stop writing and boring your friends and family.
6. Drink some more beer and just enjoy the moments as they come.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



11th March 2009

Bahaha
Jess! I know you will check shortly to see if anyone has left a comment, so I thought I would leave one for you. This entry was so funny, Steph and I were laughing out loud in the internet cafe down the street. Really good stuff (might have to put the link up in our blog). Keep'em coming and thanks again for the beer last night.
11th March 2009

OH NO!
Don't stop writing- ever! How else will the rest of us, who are glued to our place for various reasons, ever know that there IS a big beautiful world out there to see? This blog is a riot and reminds me how much you REALLY need to be on Amazing Race-tell them you can even help figure out their tasks for no extra charge! We all miss you and love that you are having such a great time. Enjoy every day, Marti
11th March 2009

We're reading, don't stop writing!
Aloha Jess and Jaz, It's 60 degrees in Hilo this morning and reading about your travels made my morning. Please keep us in the loop and I too think you'd be a great asset to the Amazing Race. Hugs from Hilo, Betsy, Tom and Merlin
11th March 2009

HOW TO LIVE A FUN LIFE
Go to Cambodia but DON'T STOP BLOGGING. All of us selfish folks left behind crave to read what you are seeing and thinking. And, (especially Steve) what you are eating and drinking. On my end- seeing rain, eating chocolate and thinking about your next trip. With me!
11th March 2009

Bore us?? I think not! In fact we started to worry about you guys when we didn't hear from you for a couple of days. In fact we were debating about how long we should wait before we call Steve to make sure you guys were ok. Don't stop writing. Please.
23rd March 2009

too funny...
Steph and Alexis posted the link to your blog in their most recent post. I read your post and couldn't stop laughing! You have a great sense of humor - I will continue to read your next posts so keep 'em coming!

Tot: 0.257s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 6; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0923s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb