Angkor Wat


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
September 25th 2008
Published: October 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


i spent loner than expected in the quaint town of Kampot. my guesthouse had a floating bar on the river, and i would swim in the brown water every morning before breakfast. apart from chilling out i did some voluntary work teaching English and helping to build a house in the paddy fields. the only reason i left this beautiful place was because my visa had ran out.

i went to the touristy city of Siem Reap where i was to see the magnificent Angkor Wat (i usually try and avoid these tourist hot spots but this is the pride and joy of Cambodia). i was in awe of the vast complexity of the many ancient ruins that lie in the national park. on my first day i went by tuk tuk with Julian, a German psychiatrist, to the Beng Melaya - a crumbling ruin, overpowered by nature. as it was quite far out of Siem Reap and not yet a big tourist destination, it was extremely peaceful, and we felt like adventurers, scaling collapsed walls to get better views.

on the second day i was exhausted from cycling 30km on a rickety old bike with a flat tyre
getting involvedgetting involvedgetting involved

the whole community helped us build this house for a poor widow and her 4 children. it only took a day to complete.
to see 7 temples. the next day i rented a moto and driver to see some far out temples which, after seeing so many, were still spectacular. the next day i spent 11 hours cycling around the Angkor complex with Derek, a uni student studying in Singapore.

although the ruins were amazing and very enjoyable, after 4 days i was completely ruined out, and i don't think i can see another ruin or temple for some time to come.

i payed off the police for having overstayed my visa and got a flight to Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Angkor WatAngkor Wat
Angkor Wat

this photo really dosent show the pure grandure and magnificence of the place
our long (and wrong) roadour long (and wrong) road
our long (and wrong) road

i lead us on bikes a few miles down the wrong road... nice road though


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb