Killing fields, rice and temples


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
August 7th 2008
Published: August 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Intrepid tour of Cambodia



We began our 16 day Intrepid tour in Phnom Penh. We have a group of 9 plus the guide with people from London, Australia and Wellington.

In Phnom Penh we visited the Royal Palace with the Silver Pagoda and the National Museum in the morning before heading out to S-21 museum used by the Khmer Rouge and then onto the Killing Fields. It was a pretty moving experience with a monument housing all skulls found at the killing fields. In the evening we took a cyclo down to the riverfront for a drink before dinner at the "Friends" restaurant. The restaurant takes children off the street and trains them in a variety of skills so they can provide for themselves.

From Phnom Penh we took a public bus to Baattambang about 4.5 hours. We spent the afternoon learning to cook Khmer food - a curry, spicy beef and mango salad. The next day we did a motorbike tour (sitting on the back) through the country side. We visited two really worth while NGO's, Gary helped plant rice, we saw rice paper being made and visited the fish paste market as well as seeing a
S-21 Genocide Museum - The GallowsS-21 Genocide Museum - The GallowsS-21 Genocide Museum - The Gallows

The Khmer rouge used this for interrogation. The interrogators tied both hands of the prisoners behind their back by a rope and lifted the prisoners upside down. They did this until the prisoner lost conciousness. Then they dipped the prisoner's head into a jar of smelly filthy water. This caused the prisoner to regain consciousness and the interrogation continued.
temple and another monument to the victums of the Khmer Rouge. It was a really enjoyable day.

Yesterday we left Battambang by boat and headed to Siem Reap. We arrived about lunch time after taking a few shortcuts (as the water was high enough) so we had the afternoon to explore the city.

This morning we headed out to the temples and saw the Bayon, the Terrace of the Elephants as well as one of the smaller temples. They are amazing structures and we are heading back again later this afternoon for sunset and then again tomorrow for sunrise.

I will update and upload some photos at a later stage as I don't have the cable with me.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Tuol Sleng Genocide MuseumTuol Sleng Genocide Museum
Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum

This is one of the buildings used to hold prisoners. Previously these were classrooms.
Killing Fields MonumentKilling Fields Monument
Killing Fields Monument

A monument to all those who died in these killing fields. This monument and many others around Cambodia contain the skulls of the victims.
Cooking class in BattenbangCooking class in Battenbang
Cooking class in Battenbang

We did a great cooking class in Battenbang.
Phare Ponleu SelpakPhare Ponleu Selpak
Phare Ponleu Selpak

This is a center near Battenbang that was set up to educate disadvantaged youths. Originally they learnt to draw but now it has been expanded to include a school, multimedia training, and a circus.


8th August 2008

I'm so jealous!!
You guys have organised a fantastic trip, you should be in the business! But come home Gary, I need to beat you at squash! And Adeely says come home Robyn 'cos she just misses you :-(

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb