Angkor Wat


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
May 21st 2007
Published: May 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we woke up at 4am so that we could arrive at Angkor Wat for sunrise. I gave most of the information I know about Angkor Wat on my blog for the 19th, so again I just hope the pictures do this place justice. Simply an amazing place to see.

After lunch and a long sleep our guide takes a few of us out to Tonlé Sap, a lake that is the basis of the location of the whole Angkor Wat complex and many communities today. The lake is particularly important because of an incredible natural phenomena.

Normally, the lake has an area of 2,700 square km. However, during the rainy season the Tonle Sap river, which connects the lake to the Mekong River, reverses its flow. This causes the lake to flood, increasing its area to a massive 16,000 square km. This causes fields and forests nearby to flood, making the land fertile and also creating the perfect breeding ground for fish.

Hence, a whole fishing community live on the lake all year round - taking advantage of the fact that it's the largest freshwater lake in SE Asia. This is what we visiting this afternoon, and the whole experience is a sight to behold in its own right. There is a floating church, hospital, petrol station, two story school and even a basketball court (oh, and a pub too).

After this, I head back to Siem Reep for dinner with the rest of the group. The trip is now over, only the long drive back to Bangkok tomorrow remains.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Angkor Wat - StaircaseAngkor Wat - Staircase
Angkor Wat - Staircase

Joe climbs the steep stairs right behind me. A common misconception is that the Khmer had small feet 1000 years ago, but the steps were actually created deliberately small so that you were forced you watch your step, causing you to bow your head in respect while entering the temple.
Angkor WatAngkor Wat
Angkor Wat

Once inside Angkor Wat you realise how large it really is
Tonlé SapTonlé Sap
Tonlé Sap

Our boat is manoeuvred by a young boy
Tonlé Sap - ChurchTonlé Sap - Church
Tonlé Sap - Church

The local church
Tonlé Sap - SellersTonlé Sap - Sellers
Tonlé Sap - Sellers

The sudden increase in tourism mean that locals now approach tourist boats trying to sell food and other items
Siem ReepSiem Reep
Siem Reep

Oh, the irony.


1st June 2007

Hey
Hey James looks lie your having a great time we are all following your progress and wish you all the best. Your being missed alot here keep in touch and look after yourself. See you soon hopefully. Matt

Tot: 0.331s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb