Intro to Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
March 31st 2007
Published: March 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Overland from Bangkok to Siem ReapOverland from Bangkok to Siem ReapOverland from Bangkok to Siem Reap

Not a reassuring sight!!
We are now in Siem Reap in Cambodia, and the journey yesterday was an interesting one. We'd read about all the scams that go on at the border crossing and with 'organised' trips from Bangkok and decided to do the trip independently. We left Bangkok on a 6am public bus for the border and both enjoyed the calm before the storm. Getting through the border was not as terrible as we'd expected. The official visa office tried to rip us off, which is always a great introduction to a country, but we stood our ground and insisted on paying the $20 visa fee. Having made it through the three stage immigration process we finally made it to a taxi stand for the final three hour leg to Siem Reap feeling fairly smug with ourselves.

What nobody had told us was that this part of the journey was not for the faint hearted. The roads are shocking, extremely bumpy and the small sections that are tarmaced are full of potholes. Matters were made worse by our driver who seemed to be trying to break the
landspeed record. These roads are really only suitable for 4WD travelling at about 30mph. We were in a clapped out old banger ravelling at 60mph. Half way through the journey we got a flat tire (so not suprised!) and once we realised he had a spare were quite relieved, as we figured it would slow him down. Oh no!! He was now making up for lost time and just cranked up the speed! I was so relieved when we finally reached our hotel. Yep - now we're properly travelling!

Despite the awful journey we've both fallen in love with Siem Reap and we've not even seen Angkor Wat yet. It is so chilled out, and the people are really friendly. We have a week here before flying back to Bangkok for a few days.


Advertisement



13th April 2007

Excellent photos
Hi guys, It looks like you are having an amazing time, and the photos are great, but it makes me miss you more!! Thailand looks gorgeous, inspite of the scary things in the sea! I'll keep emailing you with the goss. Have a great time. Love you both lots x
6th May 2007

Still Learning!
Amy / "Mum in Stretton" Only just found the comments section - other people have been using the message facility. Sorry we've not replied - clearly still have a lot to learn about this travel blog malarky!

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb