The Cambodia Genocide


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South
January 23rd 2014
Published: January 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

The Cambodia Genocide happened when the Khmer Rouge took control of the Cambodian government in 1975, they declared the beginning of a new age dedicated to a peasant-oriented society.In 1970 Prince Sihanouk was deposed in a military coup. The leader of the new right-wing government was lieutenant-general Lon Nol, who was made president of the 'Khmer Republic'. Prince Sihanouk and his followers joined forces with a communist guerrilla organisation founded in 1960 and known as the Khmer Rouge. They attacked Lon Nol's army and civil war began.People who escaped murder became unpaid labourers, working on minimum rations and for impossibly long hours. Mainly they did not want any body to Believe in any type of religion so that's why all leading Buddhist monks were killed and almost all temples destroyed. Also targeted were minority groups, victims of the Khmer Rouge's racism. These included ethnic Chinese, Vietnamese and Thai, and also Cambodians with Chinese, Vietnamese or Thai ancestry. Half the Cham Muslim population was murdered, and 8,000 Christians.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement



Tot: 0.215s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.101s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb