Phnom Penh & Siem Reap, Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South
February 27th 2011
Published: February 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Phnom Penh Phnom Penh Phnom Penh

Royal Palace & Silver Pagoda
February 24, 2011 – Wednesday
Weather - Hot, hot, hot!!!

It was a 5:30AM departure and a box breakfast consisting of a few pastries and a lettuce sandwich. As it was too early to check into the Somadevi Angkor Hotel, we began our touring.

Our tour guide Sovan began with the important history lesson of Siem Reap and the surrounding area. Born in 1972 and a father of 3 daughters under the age of four, he has recently purchased property in the county. Yesterday he and family members pulled electrical cable so that the authorities could do the final connection for power to his home. It is very obvious that times are tough for this young man as his shoes are very well worn and dress shirt is equally in poor condition. Sovan has seen and done a lot in his short life. Like any other father around the world he hopes that his daughters will go to school and receive the education needed to survive in this poor country.

Our first visit was to the Roluos Group. These are the oldest monuments in the Angkor area. To the north is Lo Lei, this temple stands on an
Phnom PenhPhnom PenhPhnom Penh

Killing Field Monument
artificial mound in the middle of a small reservoir, and is based on a double platform surrounded by a thick laterite wall. The four central brick towers have surprisingly well preservde false doors and inscriptions.


To the South of Lo Lei is Preah Ko or the Sacred Bull. This Hindu temple was dedicated to the worship of Shiva. The main sanctuary consists of six brick towers resting on the raised laterite platform. Close by are the three statues of the sacred bull Nandi.

Lunch included large Angkor & Tiger Beer…..not to mention great local cuisine.

Beyond Preah Ko is Bakong. This temple is also dedicated to Shiva. The largest of the Roluos monuments it is protected by a seven headed Naga and flanked by guesthouses build for pilgrims. It is said to be the centre of the Hindu world and the abode of the gods. This monument rises in five stages, the first three are enhanced by stone elephants, at the summit a large sanctuary with four towers in the middle and a lotus shaped tower rising from the top.

Back to the hotel for a quick rest and shower and off again to tour
Angkor WatAngkor WatAngkor Wat

"Women with Wings"
the small circuit including Ta Prohm and Srah Srang (Royal Bath). Ta Prohm means Ancestor of Brahma and was originally a Buddhist monastery. At its peak there was more than 3000 villagers and was maintained by 80,000 attendants, including 18 high priests ad over 600 temple dancers. The wealth of this temple included more than 35 diamonds and 40,000 pearls.
Restored by the French during the colonial period they attempted to preserve Ta Prohm in its existing condition by limiting restoration and cutting down as little of the dense jungle as possible. The temple sits on the top of a hill, has a large number of interesting stone buildings and is surrounded by a rectangular laterite wall. Narrow passage ways along with huge kapok trees (silk cotton trees) give a very unusual appearance. These large trees and their roots look like they are swallowing the monastery.

Back to the hotel for another shower and off to the Aspara Cultural show and dinner. In bed by 10PM.

It was decided that too many long days in the heat would make for exhausted and probably unhappy ladies, so we have made an adjustment to our itinerary. We have cut out a few monuments, not to worry though we have taken thousands of pictures for you to enjoy.



February 25, 2011 – Thursday
Weather – Hot & very humid

This morning was an 8:30AM departure and a wonderful visit to the Banteay Srei (Citadel of the Women). The Citadel of Women is inspired through its detailed carving of pink sandstone and was built in the 2nd half of the 10th century by Hindu Priests. Although crowded with tourists it had a calm feeling and we really enjoyed our time wandering through the passage ways.

On our way back to the hotel Jayleen made us stop to feed our stash of tiny breakfast bananas to the monkeys along the road. We enjoyed the afternoon relaxing by the pool.
This evening we walked into town in search of a good, cheap local fare. Well settled on The Dead Fish restaurant. Being the only guests other than the 2 crocs we enjoyed several beer, eight local dishes for under 40$US. This was also our chance to hit the night markets and pick up some kitsch. Yep we did a bit of shopping and even ran into some Kitimat folks. (No names, what happens in Cambodia stays in Cambodia)





Advertisement



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb