Beach bound... Sihanoukville, Kampot and Kep!


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Sihanoukville
March 13th 2011
Published: March 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hello!

We currently have viruses on both our USB and memory cards so we havn't been able to update the blog.

Two weeks ago we travelled from Chi Phat to the southern coastline of Cambodia. Our first stop was sihanoukville for some much needed relaxation and sun to burn off our leech-bitten ridden bodies! We loved it here and spent 4 amazing, chilled out days lying on the beach and drinking 50cent beers. Although it was one of the more touristy areas we have been to, the beach was so long we managed to find a nice quiet spot towards the end of the main strip, away from the holiday makers and with a lovely restaurant. Within hours of arriving Rikki had already been convinced to have a foot massage and Lucy found herself having a foot scrub and pedicure and this endulgence continued over the next few days, it was bliss!

The beach itself was really nice, long stretches of white sand met with clear, warm waters. Apart from laying on our sunbeds drinking, eating and being pampered, we did manage to tear ourselves away for a boat trip to a nearby island. Bamboo Island was well worth visiting, it's scenery amazed us, another picture perfect location. The day involved snorkelling and a beach bbq where we had baracuda fish; the most tasty fish we have ever eaten! The only bad part was the boat trip back, the sea was really choppy and our boat was filled with 3 times the amount of people we had in it on the way making it extremely cramped and sinkable; at one point we crashed into some rocks and everyone thought we would be going for an unwanted dip as we rocked vigorously!

After recharging our batteries we headed to Kampot; a small riverside town with plenty of character. Here we did our own thing, soaking up the pleasant atmosphere whilst drinking fruit shakes and eating some delicous food. We went to one particular family run restaurant called Mr Chims which boasts the "best soup in Cambodia" and it didn't let us down. We wanted to stay another day just to have it again but Kep was calling.....

Kep is another small seaside town, famous for its fresh crab. Again, our time here was mainly spent eating rather than seeing! And once again we had the most amazing meal. Although slightly out of our usual price range, we had to try the world renowned crab with kampot pepper for a "pricey" $5! Neither of us had ever tried crab before so we wern't sure what to expect, but both of us would now put it up there with our favourite dishes. Beach front restaurant, $5 crab, beer....the perfect end to our Cambodian adventure!




Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb