Beached As Bro...


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Sihanoukville
December 29th 2008
Published: December 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
Sihanoukville ArrivalSihanoukville ArrivalSihanoukville Arrival

Entry into Sihanoukville where we were to spend the next 3 nights...
On the 24th of November, myself and a group of 15 people from Victoria University left for Cambodia on a study field trip. The field trip is part of a subject that gives students the opportunity to observe tourism in action in the field. The trip consisted of 11 days which gave the group the opportunity to discover as much as Cambodia had to offer. After about a week of hectic travelling and sight seeing the we headed south-west to the beach side town of Sihanoukville. It was here that we were privileged enough to spend our next three nights winding down.

I am going to put it out there, but I think that its safe to say that Sihanoukville is Cambodia's Phuket. It is comprised of three main divisions. The division we stayed in was Ochheuteal Beach which was made up of guesthouses, restaurants, bars and great beaches. While here our group was able to indulge in a number of activities.

On our first day I headed into the local market to buy local souvenirs. There was a range of goods that could be purchased such as handicrafts, local food, fashion goods and much more. After a quick
In townIn townIn town

Heading to the market to buy all our goodies.
look here I headed back to our local beach a settled down nicely on a banana lounge situated outside a bar where I read, sunbathed and swam for the rest of the afternoon. Later on it was time to warm up the taste buds and enjoy a beach barbeque and a few quiet Angkor beers. It was then that we witnessed one of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen which had the sky the colour of fire. All you romantics… Eat your heart out!!

Once again our remaining days were full of relaxing by the beach, however with plenty more parting involved such as our night at Sessions Bar where we were able to meet plenty other fellow Aussies but also many internationals. This being said, Sihanoukville was also the home of many local Cambodians.

What shocked me was the number of children roaming up and down the beach attempting to sell small souvenirs. Bracelets, sunglasses and food were just some of the goodies that the children sometimes almost forced us to buy. The children explained that they go to school early and then come to the beach for the rest of the day just to
Beach SceneBeach SceneBeach Scene

After the market it was down to the beach where a relaxing afternoon was enjoyed swimming and sunbaking.
try and make some extra money for their less fortunate family. However, it was good to sit on a beach and begin to watch Cambodia shine after such a horrific past. It’s hard to imagine what it would be like to walk Bondi beach with the same sort of atmosphere…?



Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Time for BeersTime for Beers
Time for Beers

Chilling on the beach late in the afternoon where we enjoyed a few beers.
Pre-sunsetPre-sunset
Pre-sunset

Pre sunset was spent meeting plenty of the local children...
Here it comesHere it comes
Here it comes

One of the boys couldn't ask for anything better...
Hard at workHard at work
Hard at work

The young children then went to work making plenty of bracelets for everyone to buy.
SingingSinging
Singing

A blind beggar trying to earn some money while being lead across the beach by a small child.
BreathtakingBreathtaking
Breathtaking

The sun then began to set while we sat on the beach.
MagicalMagical
Magical

You can make up your own mind....
Simply BeautifulSimply Beautiful
Simply Beautiful

It set in a matter of minutes, but we were back the next night.
RelaxingRelaxing
Relaxing

It was then time to really let our hair down with a massage for around $5!
The GroupThe Group
The Group

We were all still sitting in our group as the night had only just begun.
PersistancePersistance
Persistance

The little kids then began to wrestle us because we would not buy anything off them. This was continuous...
Party TimeParty Time
Party Time

The MVP and runner-up were tuning their motors for a big night ahead.
The LadiesThe Ladies
The Ladies

The girls were living it up and making the most of it!
Night SceneNight Scene
Night Scene

The scene was set down the beach with bright lights displayed all throughout the bars.
BBQBBQ
BBQ

BBQ dinners were a hit with an array of choices on what to eat!
BarsBars
Bars

Pretty self explanatory by this particular bar...
Time to EatTime to Eat
Time to Eat

We gathered around to order all our meals... There was so many choices!
FirecrackersFirecrackers
Firecrackers

Some of the boys bought some tools (firecrackers) to entertain themselves...


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb