Locals displaced for tourism


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Sihanoukville
February 29th 2008
Published: February 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

In May 2007 the Cambodian government evicted approximately 30 families from land they had lived on near Otras beach for numerous years, to make way for a 5 star luxury hotel resort on this prime beach land. Any documentation relating to land ownership was destroyed by the Khmer Rouge dictatorship in the 1970s.

These coastal dwelling families rely on fishing as their main source of income. The Cambodian government has offered them alternative land to live on inland, miles away from the sea, but is not offering training to enable these people to learn new skills for generating income.

The Otras families feel they have no option but to stay near their boats, and built basic shacks in a row alongside the road not far from where their village was. What was once a well organised community now equates to a shanty town, with shacks not much bigger than the size of a tuk tuk, accommodating families of approximately 5 people or more.

The well they built dried up as it was not dug deep enough, and disease became increasingly prevalent as families had to use dirty water for cooking, drinking and washing. A donation of US $200 from a guest house owner on another beach ensured the building of a new well, so now the Otras families have clean water again. Travellers who have stayed at the guest house have donated money to buy rice, soap, washing powder, toothpaste and toothbrushes, clothing and footwear for the children. As little as $0.25 can buy a bar of soap, $0.50 nearly a kilo of rice and $1.40 a pair of shorts or top and flipflops for a child. Very basic medication such as paracetamol is given out to those particularly in need, but individuals are encouraged to visit the NGO Starfish project who can access specialist medical care for free.

In the last 5 days, businesses and homes on neighbouring beaches have been burnt and bulldozed to make way for new resorts. Much of the coastal land has been bought by Korea, Russia and Japan for 5 star resorts. I feel privileged to have visited Cambodia when it is possible to stay at small guest houses. The international airport is going to be changed to here in Sihanoukville, rather than the present capital Phnom Penh. I wonder how much money actually goes back to the Cambodian people for schools and other infrastructure? Is tourism a good thing for Cambodia, or is it just going to drive up prices for the locals? Some jobs will be generated, but I'm not sure I want to see Cambodia go the way of Jamaica with foreign hotels owning most of the beautiful beaches.



Advertisement



29th February 2008

wow. Interesting stuff Shak-ti. Great to be getting these updates! x
1st March 2008

This seems quite typical of 3rd world development sadly... but it`s great to have given this community a voice even just with your mates on this facility...maybe we can all donate through any links you`ve made when you get back . lots of love by the way. sounds like you`re having an amazing time. x

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb