Shout it loud.....Holiday


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Sihanoukville
October 4th 2007
Published: October 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I know some of you may think that this is a bit strange but we realy felt in need of a holiday as this travelling malarky is actually hard work. Once we entered Cambodia by bus, which was great as we spent that little bit extra for super comfort, we had one night in Pnom Pen (the capital) and headed on to Sihanoukville early the next day.

Once we arrived we got ourselves into a taxi who took us round to see a few places to stay before deciding on a nice hamlet of bungallows with a bar/restaurant right on the beach. We checked in then checked out the beach. Board shorts and bikini on (Lisa in bikini not me!) we headed out for a walk along the beach to check out the bars and restaurants which are dotted along the beach. We settled in one which was pretty close to our bungalow which had free luxury sun loungers and the cheapest beer on the beach, about 25p. Then the onslaught came. The beach has loads of kids on selling bracelets and fruit and they generally pester the hell out of you until you either buy something or lose at noughts and crosses which they gamble their wares against our money. Once we had lost we told them to scram and leave us alone for the rest of the day which they did. They were actually a good laugh once you learnt how to deal with them. After this we pretty much just wasted the day away before heading back to the bungallow for a shower and then going back to the bar for a night time bbq on the beach and a few more beers watching the guys from the bar doing a fire show.

Our next day went much the same but without the travelling. On the beach early, same bar due to the good food and cheap beer, we also had a few games of pool with another couple, Yani and Vanessa who ganged up with us to deal with the kids. We also splashed out a bit and had a massage on our sunloungers which made us realy sleepy and i believe a bit taller as my spine was well and truly stretched. The Day was great fun with the sun shining and the prospect of watching the England Australia rugby whilst sitting on the beach sounded heavenly. Showered and changed we were out early to meet Yani and Vanessa watch the game which amazingly we won! This put us in great spirits so after food we started on the cocktails until the early hours of the morning. A good night was had by all, and this was the splurge we had promised ourselves on our "Holiday".

The next morning we awoke with slightly sore heads but managed to drag ourselves onto the beach for a little more R&R in the sun. The sun wasn't too intense today which suited us down to the ground and the afternoon was spent watching the F1 grand prix intermitently as there was a storm brewing around which kept knocking the TV out. That night we had another BBQ beach dinner and also bought loads of the kids chocolate pancakes as we had promised them during the day if they left us alone.

Our last day was again spent wasting away on the beach before saying a sad goodbye to the best bar on the beach "Mermaid" and also to the kids who had become super friendly after they realised we weren't gonna buy any more things from them. We had decided we were rested enough and was time to get back on with the travelling and took the bus back to Pnom Pen early the next day where we knew things were gonna get hard visiting the killing fields and all the other horrific things the Khimer Rouge subjected this beautiful country to.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb