Gone But Not Forgotten


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
December 15th 2011
Published: August 9th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 11.5588, 104.917

This is going to be a short and sobering blog but something that is important to know.
While in Phnom Phen, people will most probably visit the killing fields of Choeung Ek, where horrendous killings happened under Pol Pot in the 1970's. Here lay hundreds people. It is fitting to see that a memorial stupa has been erected and it is important to understand the horrible history behind this horrifying occurrence.
The fee included an audio guide which was very informative but leaving me with depressing thoughts.
3 million out of 8 died, ranging from all ages and done by their own people.
Only up until one year ago where some people implemented in the killings were bought to some justice. Pol Pot only had one year of house arrest before dying after 30 years of avoiding any form of punishment.

Yet another horrible and senseless mass murder etched in to the history books.

Cambodia seems to be getting on with life. I couldn't help noticing the average age of people ranging around 30 years old. Phnom Phen is a capital that is slowly coming to age.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb