Ancient Kingdoms


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
February 25th 2015
Published: February 26th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Royal PalaceRoyal PalaceRoyal Palace

One of several buildings.
Yesterday, we flew to Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia. The Royal Palace is quite impressive, with it's many buildings on several acres and interlaced with lush gardens. The King in residence is a ballet dancer, single at age 62 and lives with his mother. He inherited the throne when his brother turned the position down stating that he would rather live in the private sector. King Sri Hanu passed away in 2012 and his ashes were placed in one of two giant stupas on the grounds.

This morning we started the day with a private meeting with Chum Mey, one of only two survivors from S21, the prison camp where more than 12,000 were tortured in the Cambodian Genocide during the 70's. Only 7 adults and 4 children survived this camp. His skills as a technician who repaired typewriters was used by Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge leaders. This needed skill within the camp kept him alive for the 4 months he was in the camp. 1.7 M people were brutally killed as Pol Pot ordered beatings that led to death of professionals, intellectuals and artists (dancers, musicians), virtually everyone who was not a common farmer. The visit to the
Royal Palace gardensRoyal Palace gardensRoyal Palace gardens

Immaculately groomed.
killing fields of Choeung Ek where there are 129 mass graves, was a grim reminder of Cambodia's past under Pol Pot and his regime. A visit to Tuol Sleng Prison Museum, the S21 camp where the prisoners were interred & beaten in tiny cells, is something I can not describe. There are 343 killing fields (execution sites) in Cambodia, this being the largest. As one could only imagine, this was an emotion filled day.

We ended the day with an uplifting visit to Champa Academy of Arts which is free for the children. This school was founded to preserve Khmer culture since most dancers and other artists were killed in the genocide. The children taught us traditional Cambodian dance which uses hands and fingers to tell traditional stories. The dance and hand positions are graceful and calming.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

StupaStupa
Stupa

This is the stupa that holds the remains of the most recent King who died in 2012 & cremated in 2013.
A ride on a Romok in downtown Phanom Penh.A ride on a Romok in downtown Phanom Penh.
A ride on a Romok in downtown Phanom Penh.

No evident traffic rules, motorcycles & cars drive on wrong side of street weaving in and out. Cruising is big entertainment for the young.
Camp S21 cell.Camp S21 cell.
Camp S21 cell.

The cells were about 6' X 4' (my estimation). The box is the toilet. They were fed rice water 2x day.
SurvivorSurvivor
Survivor

Chum Mey, one of 2 survivors of S21 camp.
Mass grave Mass grave
Mass grave

One of 126 mass graves. People left holy bracelets in remembrance.
S21S21
S21

An old school building was turned into prison with cells.
cellcell
cell

Note the small size of the cell which is outlined by the grey concrete (where the walls were).
Champey Academy of ArtsChampey Academy of Arts
Champey Academy of Arts

Dancers -- the hands tell stories.


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb