Camboodia part 2


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
May 30th 2004
Published: May 30th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Angkor WatAngkor WatAngkor Wat

It's like living in a painting...
Hello again,
I've written about communism, poverty, and world history. Yet the most response from any email has been: EDDIE MURPHY DID NOT SAY IT'S AFRICA HOT, IT WAS MATTHEW BROADRICK! I do appreciate the correction and apologize immensely to Neil Simon who deserves better than Eddie Murphy.

Here's some neat things I've done in Cambodia...

*Saw an alligator farm. In America, fences would be surrounding the alligators with sensors making sure that no one could possibly get hurt. Needless to say, the security is obviously very lax in Cambodia and I was literally 2 feet away from some of these beauties. It's pretty cool and scary at the same time. In order not to be bitten, I promised to never buy an alligator bag and to rent the B movie classic, Alligator.

*The first hotel we stayed at didn't have air conditioning, but because the tour company says that it "gets really cold at night", he said that we didn't need it. LIAR! Danielle, Vianne and I were in a steam bath. The only good was that we lost a few pounds and created our own individual water beds

*The Cambodian palace is incredible. Like I mentioned before, gold buddhas and the architecture is like "The Usual Suspects", everytime you think it's going to end, something new pops up. For example, they have a wall, then they have ornate carvings on the wall, then on the ornate carvings are beautiful women, then next to the women are gargoyles, but every 4th one is different, and then they put Buddhas in front of the gargoyles. Much like a cake, it's multi-layered and it's hard to take everything in. Danielle and I are pretty much templed and pagodaed out so we're not seeing any of those anymore, but the kingdoms still are pretty cool. But outside the kingdom, it's a different story with all the beggars and amputees (from landmines) waiting outside. If you are bothered by hungry children, thieving monkeys, mass governmental corruption, the blind, people lucky to make a $1 a day, and people with lost limbs, do not come to Cambodia. I have small bills and food that I give to every beggar that asks, but it's not enough. It's quite depressing which is probably why I've written the same thing in the past two emails. Don't worry, I'm finally going to a country that is not known specifically of war or mass killings so I won't send such depressing emails anymore. I’m going to Bangkok today, so all I have to worry about are beaches, pickpockets, and STD's.

Oh, one more political rant. The Khmer Rouge, you remember, those fun loving guys who killed a third of the Cambodian population because they wanted a pure egrarian society (some of which are still in government positions). Well it turns out that during their reign from 1975-1979, the United Nations actually gave them a seat in the UN! Then again, Some nation like Libya or a similar country (i forget exactly who) is the head of their human rights committee so how much faith can you have in them. This is why Cambodia, the UN, and the world wants to forget the Khmer rouge ever happened.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Angkor trioAngkor trio
Angkor trio

Yes, I am holding a Doctor Octopus doll. (Pathetically enough, it's good luck when I travel)


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 66; dbt: 0.065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb