Day 6


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
March 27th 2010
Published: March 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Tuol Sleng Genocide MuseumTuol Sleng Genocide MuseumTuol Sleng Genocide Museum

the blackboard, a reminder that this used to be a classroom
Phnom Penh in the light of day reminded me of a cross between Hanoi and Bangkok, leaning more towards Hanoi, lots of motorcycles with whole families on them and seemingly free for all traffic. This morning, River and Manish are showing us around, starting with the infamous Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum. Now I have been a bit apprehensive about taking Shea because of what I had heard about it but after talking it over with her, she seemed ok about it. Maybe I’m over protective but the original idea was for this to be a cultural, artistic experience for her but she didn’t think it would take away from the experience, and of course she’s right. The museum is a former high school and I must admit the whole experience was very moving, I was brought to close to tears reading when comments by people who had lived through it. Shea showed a lot of interest in it and even River and Manish who had never been there were engrossed.

Later we had lunch at a place called the K Café near the Russian Market. Run by a Singaporean with a Hawaiian chef, I had the best meal on this
Tuol Sleng Genocide MuseumTuol Sleng Genocide MuseumTuol Sleng Genocide Museum

River reading one of the many information boards.
trip. It was a fusion style meatball baguette flavored with lemongrass! Yum! And how about a Chicken Lok Lak pie! How inventive! We then hit the Russian Market and did a little shopping. A lot of the stuff is made in Thailand so we didn’t buy much. Later that evening we went on a boat ride on the Tonle Sap for which they wanted to charge us a lot of money due to some new regulation, but we outsmarted them and shared the boat with a small group from Ireland. It was a very relaxing ride, cool breeze blowing and lights from the big hotels along the river bank shimmering off the water. A great day out, thanks again Manish and River…..and Tara too!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Tuol Sleng Genocide MuseumTuol Sleng Genocide Museum
Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum

From where does such evil come? From the heart of man. Who can rid a man of such evil?
Tuol Sleng Genocide MuseumTuol Sleng Genocide Museum
Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum

Shea, showing keen interest.
Tonle Sap by nightTonle Sap by night
Tonle Sap by night

Manish, River and pretty in pink Tara.
Tonle Sap by nightTonle Sap by night
Tonle Sap by night

A few boats were out and about.
Lunch at K CafeLunch at K Cafe
Lunch at K Cafe

Tara and her Lok Lak chicken pie
Lunch at K CafeLunch at K Cafe
Lunch at K Cafe

My finest meal in Cambodia!


28th March 2010

Shopping?
Sunny and Shea, We's (other half) been asking about shopping and is wanting to know whether or not, Tescos, Big Cs,7/11s and/or Family Marts exist in Cambodia. Are there any? If not, what are the alternatives? Pity that you didn't get to munch out on deep fried tarantulas!
28th March 2010

What's that in the bread roll mate? Meatballs?
30th March 2010

Shopping
Main supermarket chain is called Lucky, but lots of smaller supermarkets in more touristy places, stuff like booze and cheese is cheap. I tried all the cambodian beers and liked Ankor best. Otherwise, no Big C, Tesco, Carrefour or 7/11...but I did see a 6/11!
30th March 2010

Meatballs
Good stff! Like a meatball sandwich but meatballs done with lemongrass, ginger and garlic, at a fusion food type cafe around the corner from the Russian market, a place called K Cafe.

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb