Guns, Girls and Ganja


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
February 10th 2006
Published: February 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

S-21S-21S-21

The Gallows
Well not exactly but I have no doubt about the last two as they are available everywhere especially the last one mainly as a ingredient in food to make it "Happy" so traveller beware not to order the shakes, pizzas and brownies "Extra Happy"

After finding a hotel just off Sisowath Quay which overlooks the Tonle Sap river we spent the night relaxing from the bus journey down from Siem Reap.

Phnom Penh in all seriousness is a city which holds more than the above, Our first place to visit was the Tuol Svay Prey High School or S-21 as some may know it.

This was the largest centre of detention and torture in the country during the reign of Pol Pot, nearly 100 people lost their lives everyday in this detention centre. Between 1975 and 1978 there were over 17,000 men, women and kids detained and tortured here.

I have watched the film "The Killing Fields" many many times I always find it moving, being able to visit the detention centre was a honour and you really must when visiting here to understand how far the people have come in suh a small space of time.

Peace has only been in Cambodia since 1991 when the two sides finally came together and signed a agreement.

The next stop was the "Killing Fields" at Choeung Ek which are about 9 miles outside the city a Tuk Tuk driver can be hired for about $10 for the day so doing the two trips should be possible in one day.

Arriving here again is a very humble experience as the mass graves are very obvious with some bones still lying here and there and also remants of clothing can be seen in some areas of the fields.

There is a monument erected in 1988 in the middle of the fields which has over 8000 skulls taken from all the victims of the mass graves they are arranged in sex and age.

Heading back to town we hit the Central Market and spent some time there before heading back to the hotel for the night.

Next Stop Sihanoukville







Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Killing FieldsKilling Fields
Killing Fields

Victims Skulls


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb