Protests and support for Boeung Kak


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
October 15th 2008
Published: October 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello hello,

The last week has been fairly interesting. I think I mentioned in an earlier entry that the largest lake in Phnom Penh - Boeung Kak - was illegally sold last year by the government (hmm, some bribes maybe!?) to a commercial company planning to fill in the lake with sand and build new high rise buildings on it. Only some of the 4200+ families living on the lake were offered compensation to move from their homes, while others were left to wonder what would happen to them. About the same time, the municipality stopped providing water, electricity and rubbish collection for these families and the result has turned one of the icons of Phnom Penh into a cesspool of garbage and filth. It's appalling to see the conditions these people live in, yet they all continue to walk around with smiles on their faces.

While some might think that commercial development is required for progress - there are over 20,000 people living on and around the lake who are being forced to move from their homes. One of the key initiatives at the NGO I work for is Community Empowerment and Legal Awareness and while it's not likely that anyone will be able to save the lake, the key goal now is to improve the compensation being offered to the residents.

As part of the campaign to raise awareness, community members and several NGOs attended a night time gathering in front of the palace to "protest" the forced evictions last Thursday - photos attached.

Now I know what some of you are thinking, BUT I haven't yet grown dreadlocks or hugged any trees and I continue to shave my legs and armpits!! I will however dance in the streets if the Democrats can pull off this upswing and get back into the White House!!

To be continued...

xo



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Handing out t-shirts at Boeung KakHanding out t-shirts at Boeung Kak
Handing out t-shirts at Boeung Kak

But not without those rubber boots!!
Erin our new Health AdvisorErin our new Health Advisor
Erin our new Health Advisor

The woman was so excited to have her picture taken with Erin. Cambodians are in awe of tall people (and Erin is only about 6')
Residents already movingResidents already moving
Residents already moving

This is the former site of a house on stilts...
The CELA teamThe CELA team
The CELA team

Wearing their Save Boeung Kak t-shirts and blue krahmas
Temple at NightTemple at Night
Temple at Night

Check out the phantom tuk-tuk!!


15th October 2008

WOW!
Amazing, amazing stuff 'Stina! You are really doing good over there - I hope your compensation drive comes off. And Amen sistah re: the elections! Looking good but I won't believe it until it happens!! Looking forward to getting you back here... Amy x
15th October 2008

ChiChi our Warrior Princess!
And in Hunter Wellies, no doubt. So she retains a bit of her soon-to-be-Englishness with her. I hope 'dreads aren't in your future. Not a good look for you in London bars, girlfriend! Miss you, mwa mwa JFK
15th October 2008

Hello from Verizon-land
Hi there Christina, wow - the most powerful comment to me was that the people there have so little, yet walk around with a smile on their face! Very unlike what most of us New Yorkers look like now, in spite of our enormous wealth, albeit billionares are now millionares, oh well. I am right there with ya - looking pretty good for the Dems in the White House, my fingers are crossed - enjoy your good will adventure and best of luck with the drive - I am living vicariously through you!! Our weekly calls are not the same without you!
16th October 2008

You Rock !
Stina: What an experience you are having over there, and I am so impressed with all that you are doing (and having fun with it too!!). We miss you, and think of you often. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
17th October 2008

What are you doing with that super-cute designer dress on in the lake?! Give me that! Seriously though, amazing pictures and and amazing experience I'm sure. I'm thinking about you all the time!

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb