Phonm Penh And Depressing Sights


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
June 16th 2008
Published: February 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

So we were up at 5.30am for our 6am pick up and it was late so i jumped on the net and checked some emails etc. Eventually it arrived and a fwe more pick ups and we arrived at the main big bus, appreantly its a limousine as they are called mekong lisounie bus service.

Well it was better than some busses there, but the were some nice ones there and we had paid a 11 bucks each for this bus, i brought some water and bread from vendors as it was a 7 hr bus journey, it turned out we had a snack and water included on the bus dohhhh, we had a guy with a mircophone at the front of the bus pointing stuff out but he was quiet and mumbled and so we caught nothing of it and then a woman came and sat at the back of the 4 of us and had a really long mobile conversation trigger happy tv style so we all ended up having our ipods on at full blast to drown her out.

We stopped on the way at a dodgey restaurant, they offered tv in manky unclear cups so i did not have anything there. We eventually got Phonm Penh and we got surrounde by tuk tuk drivers and to be honest the beggars, tuk tuk drivers etc in cambodia dont take no for an answer like they will in thailand and so i wont miss that aspect when i leave cambodia for vietnam. The first place we went to was 35 bucks a night ouchhh, we eventually found a guesthouse at 12 dollars a night with aircon,fan,bathroom,and cable tv, we settled in and then went and visted the royal palace which is cool but not a patch on the golden palace in thailand.

We then grabbed a bite to eat and a drik at the pink elephant and had a wonder around and then headed back to the guest house. next morning was an early start and first was s-21 were they the kmer rouge tortured and excuted many people and it was such an insight into this genocide and so saddening we then went to the killing fileds and well the mood among us was very somber.


Id recommed any visitor to cambodia to visit these sites and then youd appreciate your life back in the west, we the went to the russian market and i brought a painting of angkor wat and so did natasha and darren and i got some pressies for my family and girlfriend and we then grabbed a bite to eat at a nice cafe and then we had a wander around phonm penh and had a na awesome foot massage, then had pizza and beer at happy herbs.

The park in front of the palace was mobbed with locals maybe because its the weekend, we then turned in and this morning i waved they Candians off as they headed to the airport to head back to thailand for some diving.

I have just today to wait for my visa today and off early in the morning tomorrow to vietnam.

I woke and said goodbyes and wished the Canadians a good trip and then i got postcards and wrote those and got a moto taxi to the post office which was scary. Then i spent three hours uploading pics as the internet was so slow and i still have a back log, i grabbed a bite to eat at the pink elephant and went and visited a few cool looking buildings and a park and then it rained and i went back and chilled watching a movie at the guesthouse and sorted out my visa and the 6.30am bus for the next day.

While eating i met to aussie ladies Linda and her niece rita and we chatted about Oz and Linda travels alot and so we chatted about travel and she gave me some names of reasonable priced places to stay when i hit India which is cool. Linda headed for bed and i stayed chatting with riat and we hit the internet and added each other on facebook.....lol.

Advertisement