Phnom Penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
May 24th 2008
Published: May 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ok we have decided that to ensure everyone is kept up to date and the blog is complete we are going to split each day up and write about what we all did.

After a night's sleep we woke up to find our driver and headed off to see some sights. First stop on our little agenda was the Military base to fire some guns. Unfortunately a few days before an American man had decided that enough was enough and used his last pistol round on himself. We were told that the range would be open again on Monday though!! We were offered the option of driving to a mountain to fire a rocket launcher and they would also allow us to take some other weapons but at 300 bucks a pop we found the price too high and declined the offer.

Next stop was the Killing fields of Choeung Ek where 17000 people were massacred between 1975 and 1978. The site was haunting to see and we wandered around in silence looking at the mass graves and the monument which contained thousands of skulls from the people exhumed after the fall of the Khmer Rouge. We found it really quite disturbing and were relieved to carry on the tour.

Little did we know that the next stop was the 'Tuol Slong''prison where the people to be executed were held before being transported to the Killing Fields. This was just as horrifying as the fields and there were some very graphic displays. We popped accross the road for a quick meal, with very reduced appetites, and ate a great pitta and hommous sandwich. We then ran back accross the road to watch a film inside the prison about what happened there.

Lastly we headed to the Russian market, Psar tuoi tom Pong market, and got inside just as an almighty storm came down. After wandering around to our heart content we hopped back into our Tuk Tuk to head back to the hotel.

In the evening we met up with some girls from Saigon and went out for a meal and some drinks before returning home for a good nights sleep, for some.

meanwhile.....

My german roommate had decided that going to bed late after lots of saigon beer was not good enough, and so decided to wake up at 5am (serious) and take a walk. The offer to join him was turned down by a seriously grumpy english guy (me)! Not only that... he decided that aircon and the fan should not be on AT-ALL because we need to adjust to the climate. So having lost half my body weight the night before, I needed some serious water and a good hearty breakfast. Luckily the hotel provided bread with eggs so that was nice!

The early start was to catch the infamous 'floating market' in Cai Rang while it was in full swing. It certainly was incredible the amount of boats which take part in it evry morning! We then went onto some more winding canals of the delta, seeing rice fields, a noodle production chain, rice paper manufacture and learnt how to make spring rolls. This was all on the Cai Son island.

The trip back was long and I was beat! so after a snack I hit the hay to catch up on some seriously needed beauty sleep!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Tuol SlongTuol Slong
Tuol Slong

View from one of the prison blocks


Tot: 0.233s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1737s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb