Mekong kuppam and others......


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
January 10th 2007
Published: November 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Phnom Penh was a year back and very unforgettable. The city in itself has nothing to write home about. Especially if one lives in a country like India, it was like moving through a different region in India !!!!!

We were taken to the museum soon after we landed and we are not great museum people, so could not go gaga about it. Though what struck us was how every statue of Buddha in the museum was used to rake in some money. I wasn't entirely sure if the money was actually going towards museum upkeep 'coz i saw it reach the individual's pocket faster!!!

We were staying in the hotel cambodiana, which we were told was the fanciest hotel in town. The massages were not great but Ok in the hotel, but it was at the end of the arterial street where all the Phnom penh night life happened. so i was good walking around and having a taste of some local dinner. There were good options for vegetarians which worked well for us.

Over the next 2 days we did the round of the killing fields and the s21..It was horrific and some of the images still stay in mind, its something I hope will never happen again. We took a "cruise" on the Mekong and saw the floating houses. Nice cruise though the Mekong is a dirty river with all its inhabitants around it. I named it the mekong kuppam. Kuppam is Tamil actually means a fishing hamlet and many of them reek of fish and other not so nice odours!!!!

So much for Phnom penh and we were off to Siem Reap....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb