Phnom Penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
December 31st 2006
Published: January 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After our sojourn on the coast, we returned to Phnom Penh for New Year's Eve and spent a couple of days sight seeing, shopping and staying in Raffles Hotel!

Phnom Penh was nothing like expected. Not as manic or noisy as HCMC, with beautiful architecture and great restaurants and coffee places. We visited Tuol Sleng - the school which was turned into a gruesome prison (S-21) under the Khmer Rouge - and, more happily, the spectacular Royal Palace and Silver Pagoda. We also shopped for silks in the Russian market, and saw monkeys and Sambo the elephant at Wat Phnom. And we ate spectacularly well - at Java Cafe, Friends (a restaurant set up to help Phnom Penh's street children) and, on New Year's Eve, an incredible tapas fiesta at Pacheron which was still going at midnight as the fireworks glittered over the banks of the Tonle Sap river. We did manage to resist the deep fried tarantulas though...




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

The vespa!The vespa!
The vespa!

Peter & Emily cruise the streets of Phnom Penh on Peter's 1964 vespa!
New Year'sEveNew Year'sEve
New Year'sEve

Peter & Christiana celebrating the fact that it's only 5 days until their wedding!
New Year's Eve 2006New Year's Eve 2006
New Year's Eve 2006

The Wickwire-Foster's on New Year's Eve


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0717s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb