Kampot and the Magic Sponge


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Kampot
January 21st 2012
Published: January 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Alright - it's HAPPY HOUR!! An enthusiastic American (Will) welcomed us in the Magic Sponge Guesthouse in Kampot. After explaining us what kind of rooms he has available we made our decision and sat down at the bar for a cold draft beer (HH 12-4pm, draft beer $0.50). We had a few beers and went to a massage by the blind afterwards which was very relaxing. That was our first day in Kampot. The next day wasn't very different. Having a couple of beers, reading and just chilling out. By then we had found out that Will has a great laugh - HEHEHEEEE!!

We stayed in Kampot for one week and actually didn't do anything apart from relaxing, drinking beer, playing pool, having great food and playing cards. On the third day in Kampot we got to know Stefan and Sonja - a German - Finish couple. We sat with them pretty much every evening and they taught as a card game which we really enjoyed.

On one day Ryan and I went for a nice walk to the other side of the river and explored a bit of Kampot's culture. There are loads of old French colonial style houses and the city really has a charme of its own. I enjoyed spending my time there.

On our last day we rented a “half-automatic scooter” (contact Ryan for further explanations) and drove to Kep. It is a tiny town at the seaside and Ryan had some great prawns there – fresh from the sea and really cheap. Afterwards we met up with Stefan and Sonja again for a beer and 2 matches of cards. At 5 we headed back over the bumpy road and once we arrived we needed a shower as we were covered in dust once again. This evening we treated ourselves to a meat feast in The Rusty Keyhole – a whole rib with loads of mashed potato and a great sauce. We finished it off in no time as if we hadn’t had food in weeks. It was so delicious and I haven’t been that full in a while. Walking home was exhausting. Haha. We had one last beer at the bar of the Magic Sponge before we went to bed and soaked up the atmosphere for one last time. I should finish now, it’s getting pathetic. Good night. :-)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb