Kampot and Bokor Hill Station


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Kampot
February 21st 2006
Published: May 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

KampotKampotKampot

Charming square in Kampot.
Kampot was how I had imagined Cambodia to feel, sleepy and quaint. It was rewarding to get away from the hum of city life in Phnom Penh, and breathe fresh air. Everything in our hotel was huge. Huge rooms, with high ceilings, winding staircases and a large terrace overlooking the square below. Took a day trip to see the local sights, the dilapidated seaside town of Kep, Rabbit Island and a pepper plantation. Trips to plantations always puzzle me, as there really isn't an awful lot to see, the pepper plantation was no different. Rabbit Island was nice enough but the boat ride over was more exciting to me than lazing around on the beach.

Boker Hill Station is one of the strangest places I've ever had the privilege of visiting. Built in the 1920's as a cool mountain getaway resort for French officials and guests. Years of abandonment have left the collection of once elegant buildings (Grand Hotel, Casino, Church) prone to the elements and are now eerie reminders of a bygone era. If ever a building were haunted, or had the expected feel of a haunted house then look no further than the Grand Hotel. The church sits on one of the highest hills touching the clouds as if reaching up for forgiveness or salvation. The Khmer Rouge used Boker as a base in the 1970/80's, and their presence can almost be felt as the wind rasps through the windowless buildings. Even in the daylight traversing these buildings alone is an unnerving experience. The views from the back of the hotel are breathtaking, and I don't mean figuratively either. All four of us upon seeing the view stopped talking and just sat, shaking our heads in wonderment. In the distance you can see the coast, but before that miles of untouched dense forest. Above this thick cloud formations, through which the sun penetrated, casting otherworldly-like light beams down below. The photographs really can't do this sight any justice at all.

One day in Kampot we decided to hire bicycles and go exploring off the beaten track. The route we randomly chose proved fruitful. Passed through rice fields, set against a backdrop of hills and mountains. The villages we rode through were a taste of real rural Cambodia, villagers waved as four out-of-breath, red-in-the-face westerners, rode on by.

Really enjoyed Kampot and our visit to Bokor, but
Man on bikeMan on bikeMan on bike

A man cycles past on his bike on this quiet leafy lane.
it was time to move on. The next destination was Sihanoukville. This beach resort was such a dive I have no photographs to show nor fond memories to recall. A few days back in PP then our group split up. David and Liz were starting their respective jobs in Thailand, and me and Chelsea made our way into Vietnam.



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Nice BackdropNice Backdrop
Nice Backdrop

Rented Bicycles for the day and passed scenary like this, beautiful.
Mooo...Mooo...
Mooo...

Two children were out walking their cattle.
House by a cliffHouse by a cliff
House by a cliff

Went caving inside these rock faces.
Inside the caveInside the cave
Inside the cave

This was first thing in the morning and we got soaking wet and very muddy.
Those people again?Those people again?
Those people again?

On the boat to Rabbit Island.
Approaching Rabbit IslandApproaching Rabbit Island
Approaching Rabbit Island

Spent an afternoon relaxing and swimming on Rabbit Island.
Our BoatOur Boat
Our Boat

Our boat waiting for our return to the mainland.
Some woodSome wood
Some wood

Perhaps the most interesting photo in my repertoire.
Us againUs again
Us again

Posing at the abandoned Hilltown of Boker. Vietnam can be seen from up here.
Building at BokorBuilding at Bokor
Building at Bokor

Abandoned building at Bokor.
Creepy ChurchCreepy Church
Creepy Church

Abandoned Church at Bokor, creepy place it was too.
Cross on the side of ChurchCross on the side of Church
Cross on the side of Church

Most of the buildings here are now covered with this orange moss.
Interior of ChurchInterior of Church
Interior of Church

Look close. Can you see the crucifix, others claim to see a face as well?
Taxi and driverTaxi and driver
Taxi and driver

Our driver takes a stroll.
A FaceA Face
A Face

Thought this looked great?
The Old HotelThe Old Hotel
The Old Hotel

This place was seriously spooky.
Such a comedian..Such a comedian..
Such a comedian..

Why anyone would decide to sleep on the steps of an abandoned hotel in the middle of bloody nowhere is beyond me?
Magical momentMagical moment
Magical moment

This view, we all concluded, was one of the most spectacular things we had ever seen. The photos really don't do it justice.


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb