Cambodia - Angkor Wat


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
February 11th 2017
Published: February 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

One of the benefits of global mission work is the opportunity to experience another country. Certainly a highlight for most visitors to Cambodia is a day ( or 3) at Angkor Wat.

We met in the hotel lobby at 4:30 AM. Sunrise at Angkor Wat is a not to be missed experience . However, we were not alone. Several thousand other people had the same idea. It was crowded, and tough to find a prime spot for photography. The rising sun and reflections of the temple in the adjacent pond were worth the early departure.

After sunrise we went back to our hotel for breakfast. The temple complex at Angkor has multiple temples, pagodas and relics. We had the services of a government certified guide who did his best to offer up some history and explanations of what we were seeing. However given our large group, our guide’s quiet speech and heavily accented English it was often difficult to get much information. Nonetheless, the temples were both beautiful and spiritual. I am certain between us we likely took several thousand photos.

I am not a movie buff, but scenes from both Indiana Jones and Laura Croft Tomb Raider were filmed at the complex. I guess I have some movie watching to do when I get home. We had lunch at a restaurant near the temple complex. Our family style meal was varied and wonderful.

Given our large team, it was difficult to maneuver the complex efficiently as a group. Several times we had to wait on other team members for various reasons. It made for a lot of waiting around. The waiting was complicated by heat and hard surfaces we had been traversing since the crack of dawn. A subgroup of team members felt they had seen enough and would rather cool down and relax at our hotel. The rest of us went to complete our day atop a mountain in the complex to watch the sun set. Once again we were thwarted by crowds. We waited upwards of 90 minutes to climb 100 stairs to catch a glimpse of the hazy setting sun. This was not the highlight of my day, but I really hesitate to miss something. Personally, I think the people who went back to the hotel made the wiser choice.

We finished our tour at a restaurant the featured a large buffet and traditional Cambodia Anspara dancing. I estimate the restaurant held over 1000 guests. Fortunately for us, our tour package included reserved seating near the stage. I want to describe the dining experience as Cambodia’s answer to Golden Corral; lots of choices, long lines, so-so food and an chaotic atmosphere.

Our 18 hour day was exhilarating and exhausting. Despite my whining, I wouldn’t have missed it!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb