Wanderings in Cambodia - 3 - Siem Reap


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
February 17th 2014
Published: February 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Accommodation - Karavansara Hotel Siem Reap

Weather - Hot and sunny with occasional clouds 35c

There is really only one thing to do in Siem Reap and that is to visit the Temples of Angkor. Our first visit was to Angkor Thom - the capitol city of King Jayavarman VII's vast Khmer empire in the 12th century. The complex was built as an impregnable fortress at the heart of his empire. At the exact centre of Angkor Thom is the Bayon Temple - with 216 smiling faces and extensive bas-relief decoration. The faces are thought to represent King Jayavarman himself as a reflection of his god-like status. A very impressive awe-inspiring start to the temples of Angkor - especially when WanderingAlison was able to stand nose-to-nose with the King!!

In the late afternoon we visited Angkor Wat - the highlight of the Temples and of our holiday. This vast Angkorian Temple complex was built in the first half of the 12th century, as a temple and mausoleum for King Suryavarman II. Built in the Khmer architectural style centred on the theme of a Temple-mountain, elaborated into a large central tower surrounded by four smaller towers. We were able to take photos, across the lake, to obtain reflections of this iconic temple. We then climbed very steep steps up to the top tier of the central tower giving great views across the whole complex. An amazing experience seeing another of the seven wonders of the modern world.

The final Angkor temple provided a magical start to the day, at dawn, amongst the jungle-covered ruins of Ta Prohm Temple. Abandoned hundreds of years ago, the temple buildings are covered and surrounded by massive trees and vines with their roots growing over and between and prising apart the stone blocks. Of course this temple is the amazing setting for scenes in the film Tomb Raiders but we didn't spot Lara Croft today!!

A day trip took us to the stilt and floating villages of Kompong Khleang on Tonle Sap Lake. A boat trip along the river and on to the lake was wonderful, seeing the tall stilt houses, up to 20m high, along the banks. During the monsoon the water rises to the levels of the house verandahs, and floods massive areas of the surrounding countryside, ideal conditions for rice cultivation. A Vietnamese floating village was also present on the lake making for even more great photo opportunities.

Unfortunately we are now coming to the end of another wonderful trip - we leave for the airport later this afternoon for our long flights home, via Bangkok and Dubai.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Vietnamese boat peopleVietnamese boat people
Vietnamese boat people

A community of Vietnamese also live in a floating community on Tonle Sap Lake


18th February 2014

Wanderings in Cambodia - 3 - Siem Reap
Many thanks for ALL your wonderful and very interesting descriptions of your Tour of Vietnam and Cambodia. The photographs have really clear and colourful. especially the \"Nose to Nose\" very special because of the personality Great !. Have a safe journey home and I hope all connections will be on time. Love you D and M

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb