Wanderings in India - 9 - Kolkata


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Kolkata
March 14th 2014
Published: March 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Kolkata, or more widely known as and still used by most of the local population, Calcutta, is situated in the north east of India in the state of West Bengal. The former capital of the British Raj of India has a somewhat split personality - the old British developed and organised colonial heartland and the surrounding chaotic Indian areas which merge together to form a wonderful city. Our first afternoon, which passed in somewhat of a blur due to tiredness and jet lag, consisted of a tour around the colonial buildings - Victoria Memorial, St John's Church, St Paul's Cathedral and Government buildings. Next day our tour of Calcutta continued with a very varied program. We visited the Sheetalnathji Jain Temple which was painted in brightly coloured pastel shades with pink towers looking somewhat reminiscent of ice cream sundaes!! The inner temple, where unfortunately no photography was allowed, was equally impressive. Mirrors, extensive inlaid coloured glass, gold and silver decorations created a mirage of colours and reflections. We travelled through thronged streets, busy with yellow "Ambassador" taxis, cycle rickshaws, hand-pull rickshaws, auto-rickshaws, buses and old and new cars, to an area famed for festival statue manufacture - with all the processes carried out by hand. India celebrates many religious festivals throughout the year resulting in a constant demand for statues, small and large, of Gods and Deities. A Buddhist temple followed and then on to a book market. We joined the literati, for a coffee, in an old colonial-style Indian coffee shop. The highlight of the day was a visit to the Flower Market, a vast area of closely packed stalls selling flowers of many varieties, creating a heady sweet scent. Hugh piles of marigold garlands, sacks of rose petals, sweet pea and snapdragon flowers were spilling out on to the narrow alleyways, which were also covered by a deep layer of flower stalks, leaf trimmings and wrappings. Porters carrying great sacks and bundles of flowers were pushing along the alleys, constantly shouting incomprehensible warnings to presumably "get out of the way"! Our way back to the hotel took us across the famous Howrah Bridge, over the Hooghly River. Over one million people and 80,000 vehicles cross the bridge each day, making it one of the busiest bridges in the world - it was certainly packed with a constant stream of taxis and buses.

Accommodation - Oberoi Grand Hotel

Weather - Hot, sunny/cloudy 33c


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



16th March 2014

Wanderings in India - 9 - Kolkata
Once again very good array of photographs, especially the "Flower Market" I like the huge coil of Marigolds. What a choice of transport, Buses, Tuk-tuks, and the huge number of Rickshaws (any size or shape)
17th March 2014

India trip
Glad to hear this next trip is going so well. We enjoyed the blog and the photos, particularly the flower market which looks amazing. Weird to see a picture of a totally English cathedral in the midst of everything. Good luck with the next leg of the trip. I'm looking forward to hearing about the Himalayas ! Xx

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb