Thought of the day xxx


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
November 12th 2013
Published: November 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

On our first day in Vietnam we got talking the the waitress in the restaurant we went into for lunch and we made a comment about how many bikes there were and it was crazier than Bangkok. She told us that Vietnam is a much poorer country which is why they have lots of bikes and not as many cars. As soon as she said that I felt like it explained a lot, the amount of mopeds is ridiculous but the poverty out here is also quite predominant. Thailand was an eye opener but Vietnam made us feel quite humble I think, people live on next to nothing and what is really cheap prices to us is normal to them.

Our guide at Halong Bay also made the comment the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. We have found that this is true too, I say people are poor and have mopeds but the ones that can afford cars make sure they have nice ones Mercedes, bentleys, BMW it's literally one extreme to another and really makes you think how can there be such a drastic difference between the classes within even 1 city like Ho Chi Minh. Although it does happen at home, we have just been brought up to not have to really know about it, makes me feel quite humble really! It definitely shows our guides comment was extremely true.

A lot of people have been worried about us with the typhoon too, it's quite surreal to know how close we were to it and how badly it affected so many people in the Philippines. If we could have we both said it would have been worth trying to volunteer but there doesn't seem to be anything online for us to do it

This isn't really an entry about anything we've done just a bit of a thought for the day I guess, and one that definitely makes both of us appreciate everything we have back home!
Love B&K xxxxxxx

Advertisement



12th November 2013

Thought of the day
I agree, until you visit these countries yourself, you don't realise how lucky you are. Missing you both lots. Xx

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb