Day 10 - Siem Reap: Banteay Srei, Kbal Spean, Cambodia Landmine Museum


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
November 16th 2011
Published: November 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Early start at 06:30am for a 50 km Tuk Tuk ride with T to Banteay Srei and Kbal Spean. Banteay Srei was a small temple with unusal pink stones and marvellous carvings. After half hour tuk tuk drive (another 18 km) we arrived at Kbal Spean. Had breakfast at the local shack and took 2km trek to the top of the mountain. Cannot describe the sounds and smells of the jungle other than: come here and feel it for yourselves! At the top of mountain we found the first stone carvings after a little bit of disappointment an Australian who had been there before directed us in the right path as we had to boulder hop down the stream to see the carvings. It was a magical moment to see the carvings under the water, the waterfall, the whole scenario appeared mysthical and mind blowing. The jungle was fantastic and we compared bits of it to Machu Picchu (wish we had kept a blog when we visited South America last year!). Headed back with T on our tuk tuk, and stopped at the Cambodian Landine museum/children's refuge. The museum founder's life story is amazing and an inspiration. A shocking realization of what humans have done, and continue to do!

Mark played pool with the locals and Michelle (from Bristol) and we ended up buying food and drinks for everyone! We won't have enough money for the rest of the trip if we continue having a good time like this!


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

T known as VughtyT known as Vughty
T known as Vughty

We now know T's real name: Vughty.
BreakfastBreakfast
Breakfast

Fried Rice and shake for breakfast!!
BreakfastBreakfast
Breakfast

Noodles and cocanut juice for breakfast!!!
Kbal SpeanKbal Spean
Kbal Spean

River of a Thousand Lingas
Kbal SpeanKbal Spean
Kbal Spean

Carvings under water! Amazing stuff.
Kbal SpeanKbal Spean
Kbal Spean

A spectacular carved riversibed, set in the jungle.


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb