We Are Going to Cambodia!


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
May 11th 2011
Published: May 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Caught the boat over at 8am to the mainland, then waited for an hour for the bus to show up - go figure. The bus already had people on it as it came from Pakse. We were waiting to put our bags on when we thought it would be a good idea if I went on to get us some seats. It was already to late though and we got crappy seats one row from the back. The dude in front had already put his seat all the way back and my legs barely had any room. Luckily the ride to the border was only 30 minutes and everyone disembarked. I quickly pulled the thinger and put his seat forward, and we made sure we got on before him so he couldnt recline again.

The border crossing was easy,we didn't even have to get off the bus if we didn't want too. We gave our passports to the dude that ran the bus company and the money for our visas and he did it all. I know I know, you are all probably thinking, "You gave your passports over, are you crazy????", but its a normal thing to do, this isn't the first time nor the last time probably, and if anything funny went on it would be all over the internet, all over the guest houses warning tourists not to hand over their passports. And get this, Tris was more comfortable with it then I was! I was the one saying, "really? give our passports over?" but he reminded me we've done this already a few times and everythings always been ok.

The ride on the bus was 8 hours, then it was another 3 hours in a minivan. It makes out for a long day! Anyway we arrived in Siem Reap just after 10pm and caught a tuk tuk for $2. Our friends came the previous day and told us where they were staying (though they didn't know the location as they hadn't walked around or anything yet) so we told the tuk tuk driver to take us there, and of course he brought us to a completely different place. Apparently the place we asked for is far away from the main guest house section. Anyway, we are staying in a nice air con hotel with nice thick duvets, and big fluffy pillows for $12 a night. By the time we settled in it was midnight, so we quickly grabbed a bite to eat then came back, and nowe we are heading to bed.

Tomorrow we plan on figuring out our bearings, then the next day start the Angkor Wat Temples.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0741s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb