Two pampered backpackers in Siem Reap


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
January 31st 2010
Published: February 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Had breakfast in Soup Dragon then went on a mission to Angkor Holiday hotel which we'd heard lets you pay to use it's pool. When we eventually arrived the staff explained the pool area is in the shade until 2pm. Got a motorbike taxi back to the area where we're staying and spotted Terraces des Elephants hotel which had a sign for a Rooftop Pool. The hotel was amazing and had a wide staircase leading up to the other floors, which wouldn't have looked out of place on The Titanic. We raced each other up it to find the rooftop pool surrounded by tropical plants, hanging seats and comfy loungers. Their menu was fab too and I had beef skewers with salad for about $5. We loved the staff who were really freindly and spoke English really well.
Did loads of errands after a day by the pool then had a quick shower and went for dinner at Cambodia Kitchen which is advertised by a big ugly sign (not the reason we wanted to go!). Once you walk up the stairs you enter a fabulous, big, modern restaurant overlooking the busy streets below. Each table is given a fan to keep you cool and they played pleasant English music we sang along to: Brian Adams, Eric Clapton, that kind of thing. This was one of the best meals we've had and afterwards we slumped down in our cozy armchairs and went all sleepy and giggly. Then they brought over free sliced Pineapple for us! Leant back feeling really happy. We've loved Siem Reap so much.
Went off for a Manicure and Pedicure at My Spa (I think) which was decked out with dark wood and neutral colours and had a blissful pampering session. The beauticians did a great job! Some of the places we've been to in Asia were cheaper but the staff can't have been qualified. I went for a bright Pink colour and Ellie had the matching Purple.
Nipped in an internet cafe on the way home and our shoes were surrounded by toads when we finished and came outside. (In Asia you take your shoes off before entering most shops). As if we weren't freaked out enough, the owner pretended to throw one of the Toads at us, to the amusement of his staff. I'd not even had time to put my Gladiator sandals on properly, so thought the toads were chasing us when I heard it slapping the road as I ran off screaming.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



7th February 2010

this is the life
enjoying the life with friends

Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 26; qc: 115; dbt: 0.1456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb