First couple of days in Siem Reap, Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
September 13th 2009
Published: September 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

I had been worried about the amount of time between my flight from Nha Trang to HCM and my flight from HCM to Siem Reap. I had one hour. But it all worked very well. I had no problems getting my luggage and then checking it all back in for the international flight to Cambodia. I was also feeling much better and the illness seemed to have passed.

The flight was very strange. It was a new airbus and it had a full staff but I think there must have only been 20 passengers on board. Was the most empty plane I had ever been on. That made it nice to enter into Cambodia though for the visa application. Basically they just want $20. I also found out another mistake I had made. Before I left I had gone to the bank and got a lot of small denomination bills. I got lots of $1's and $5's and they have come in handy. However, when I handed him the $20 it had a very very small little tear. Maybe about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch. I did not even notice it as it was that small. But he inspected the bill, saw that small tear and then shook his head and handed it back. I then found out that they will take US dollars for everything but any money that is too old, faded or has any tears whatsoever, is worthless here in Cambodia. I wish now I had asked the bank for new bills. I had to sit and go through all my money and unfortunatly almost half of it has small problems on it. I will wait to see what happens.

Coming into Siem Reap however is amazing from the airplane. I was just sitting in my seat reading when I looked out the window and was shocked to see an endless expanse of water and fields and trees. It looked like an ocean had risen and flooded land for as far as the eyes could see. I found out that it was the lake Tonie Sap which I guess is the largest lake in SE Asia.

I am staying at a little hotel called The Kool Hotel and so far its been great. Family run and all the amenities. No complaints whatsoever. I am a bit bummed as for the last 20 days I
First Cambodian babtized in Siem ReapFirst Cambodian babtized in Siem ReapFirst Cambodian babtized in Siem Reap

The sister is in a wheelchair but never stopped smiling and gave a great talk tonight!
have been driving a motorbike everywhere I go now. Here in Siem Reap though tourists are no longer allowed to rent and drive motorbikes. Its a bit of a shame because the cambodians are not quite as crazy on the roads here as the Vietnamese so it would have been pretty good.

The first night I got in I went ahead and went looking for the Kingdom Hall based on the directions the Society had sent. I hired a tuk tuk driver as I knew it was close by but the driver indicated that he had no idea who Jehovah's Witnesses were or where I was trying to go. The directions was to find a small alleyway across the street from the Goldianna hotel. We found the alleyway and went down it farther than I thought when I suddenly spotted a gate with a small sign that had english letters stating the meeting times. Behind the gate was a 2 story building with a sign stating in both Khmer and English "Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses" Yay, found it.

While we were there the driver started beeping his horn and some people above the Hall turned on all the outside lights and came out on the balcony. A man asked what I wanted and I stated that I was a Jehovah's Witness. He came down right away and opened the gate and welcomed me in. He is a Japanese brother and spoke a little english and it was nice to visit for a few minutes and be shown around the hall. I made sure of the meeting times and said goodbye for the night.

The next day was my first day excursion out into Cambodia and the temples. I decided to start with what is called the Grand tour as it takes in a temple called Benteay Srey which is about 40 km away and then a bunch more smaller ones closer to the main complex. My thinking has been to start with the smaller temples and head to the larger ones last such as Angkor Wat.

So far Cambodia is very different from Vietnam. Much more flat and the vegetation is much more dense and Jungle like. I was told that it rained all last week and it seems that everything is flooded but the people are happy as they are all out planting their rice. Its hard to believe but it is even more humid and hot here then in Vietnam. Its not something that anyone can describe to you, you just have to experience it to believe it. After not even 10 minutes of moving around you are just pretty much soaked. Your basically just walking around in wet clothes all day.

I must say that the first day was an eye opener. I had always pictured in my mind's eye that Angkor was just a few temples all pretty close together. Its larger than I would have ever imagined. There are so many temples and they are so different and unique. And the amount of distance you can cover seeing them is immense. Its the largest historical complex I have ever visited anywhere. Its covers such a large area that it makes it even more difficult to imagine how these ancient people were able to accomplish what they did. The one thing I can say for sure is that I ended up the first day just taking hundreds of picutures before realizing that nothing I took would be as good as the pictures that many professionals have already taken of the area.

I am glad that I went to the Benteay Sreay though as even though it was small, it still has been the most preserved and intricatly carved of all the temples I have seen. Its the carvings on these temples that has impressed me so much. You can look at the pyramids in Eygpt and wonder at how it was accomplished. But the stones are just stones. Here you are looking at such an engineering marvel but when you get close the stones are all carved in such small and minute details. We are talking carving details in the stone that is the size of your small fingernail. Its mind boggling that they not only built these temples but they put such elaborate carvings into their work at the same time. Stunning.

I visited many temples but would take forever to describe them all. That evening on Friday at 5:30pm I attended the meeting and met all the Witnesses. It was very nice and everyone was very friendly and welcomed me in. There are several brothers and sisters who speak English pretty well and were able to help me out. I found out that more than half of the brothers in the hall are from Japan and have moved here to help where the need is great. 4 years ago the congregation here in Siem Reap started with 4 people and now there are 38 publishers. They had the local needs part that night and I was told after the meeting that it was announced that last September that 45 bible studies had been reported and that this September there were now 115 being conducted. That increase occured in just one year.

All of the Cambodian brothers and sisters at the hall have found the truth from door to door work and have been babtized over the last several years. I definitly enjoyed meeting the Japanese brothers but it was a pleasure to meet the Cambodian witnesses who found the truth from the door to door work.

I have to say it was very faith strengthening to be there though. Even though I could not understand a word of the meeting, It was exactly the same as mine back home in Colorado. They had a English song book in the back that they let me use and it was heart moving to be able to sing the songs in English while at the same time being able to hear everyone around me singing it in Khmer.

They have 38 publishers. Out of those are 24 pioneers and 6 aux this month. Their meeting attendance runs around 60. Some have found various jobs here and stay but others have to go back to Japan and work 2 or 3 months to save some money then return. I asked if being Japanese was an advantage in learning the Khmer language and was told not at all. There is not one thing similiar between the 2 languages both written and spoken.

The country here is overseen by the Branch from Japan and the literature is behind what we get but is translated in Japan. So for example, at the book study they were not studying the God's Love book as they don't have it in Khmer yet but they were studying the Draw Closer to Jehovah book. They get one Watchtower per month and no Awake. The WT is in full color though and is nice.

It was very good to be able to be at the meeting with them Friday. I am planning on going out in Service on Sat morning so will fill in from there. For me this has been a confirmation. Many religions teach about loving one another but Jehovah's Witnesses live it and being on the other side of the world and being so welcomed by these brothers and sisters doing the same thing that I do every week at home is living proof. It the fulfillment of the scripture at John 13:34,35 where Jesus stated: "I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you, that you also may love one another. By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves."

Jesus said that this would be a sign to identify his disciples and for me it really has been.

Signing off for now

Dave







Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Kingdom Hall in Siem ReapKingdom Hall in Siem Reap
Kingdom Hall in Siem Reap

A Japanese brother and his wife live in the upstairs


15th September 2009

Dave - it was nice meeting you - looks like your journy continues. Have fun and stay safe. I am in Laos right now =)
22nd September 2009

A Lesson in wholesouled service.
Dave, you are so fortunate to be able to have this experience with our brothers and sisters in Cambodia. You're right no other religion or organization on earth has accomplished what Jehovah's organization has. What an increase! what zeal! I just can't wait to the new world when we all can be together and serve Jehovah the way we want to but can't in this old system. I can't wait to hear about service!
7th May 2010
First Cambodian babtized in Siem Reap

one of the few groups i trust are the witnesses , i'm trying to reach a group that could help with questions about living there , work and studying there , the witnesses have been a strong foundation in the past ,so i hope i can get some direction ,pls contact me , would love to pursue this dream .
5th September 2010

Thank You
Hi Dave, your info on the whereabouts of the Kingdom Hall helped me to find it! Arrived Sunady, found the hall Monday and attended the meeting on Friday past. What an amazing experience! Apparently 50 pubs now with 36 pioneers. The brothers were very welcoming, it was humbling experiencing their love. and you're correct, it is the identifying mark of Jesus true folloowers! Thanks again for your post. Warm regards Gary Graham, Cape Town, South Africa
28th November 2010
Kingdom Hall in Siem Reap

want to go there.
Dire sir/madam,
28th November 2010
Kingdom Hall in Siem Reap

want to go there.
Dire sir/madam, i have to look Kingdom hall in Siem Reap, but i can't find your address, so can you tell me about your address? because i want to go there. thank you, best regards.
9th December 2010

hello
I have been making some serious plans to attend the R.U.P.P in cambodia and was wondering if you have any email contacts with the bros that I may contact to arrange for living space
6th March 2011

Thank You
Dear Brother, Thanks so much for taking those pictures. I had just read in our yearbook that there has been an increase in publishers in Cambodia and wondered what their Kingdom Hall are like. Thanks for providing insight. I also read that the government there, while it supports freedom of religion, is also trying to devise a law that could inhibit the preaching work. The people there have been through so much already, so I hope this des not come to fruition. Thanks again Dave! Casey A. Jones, East Asheville Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses.
10th April 2011

Hello Dave, I am jehovah's witnesses, I am french. In august, me and my husband shall travel in cambodia. Do you have the addresses of kingdom hall please ? Thank you.
5th January 2012

dear brother i found your blog when i searched information about our brothers and sisters in cambodia.i want serve there in the future.i'm glad you can meet them.thank you for your story.
18th March 2012

love this
really i have enjoyed reading this though its been years now, but its really faith strengthening to meet bros and sis outside ur country who welcomes u like a boilogical bro.
16th June 2012

I enjoyed your post on Cambodia
Hello :0) I also love to travel, and I look forward to meeting brothers and sisters from around the world! I really enjoyed your photo blog and the detail you put into it. I am thinking about moving to Vietnam for 3 months to teach english, so I look forward to reading your journal on vietnam and seeing the congregation there. Much love from San Diego California.
24th February 2013

making a trip !
im a dedicated bro of 30 years and my wife of 25 died of cervical cancer, i had a friend lisa ambrose stay their pioneering for 6 months im hoping to go across for 3 months pioneering is their any place that is good for pioneering , just wanting to breath somewhere else for a while , regards michael from casino nsw australia
6th April 2014
Siem Reap Kingdom Hall

about the kingdom hall of Jehovah's witness in Siem Reap
Hi I want to know the address to this location since i'll be visiting next week. Thanks Melinda
14th April 2014

That was fine. Are there no English congregations at all?
That was fine. Are there no English congregations at all?
18th May 2014

To the Ends of the Earth
Enjoyed reading of your Siem Reap visit and pictures. Our kids our presently working on an assembly hall near Santiago ,we are delighted to see them using their time and energy in the best possible way. Hope you are doing well, thanks for the encouragement .
6th October 2014
First Cambodian babtized in Siem Reap

Found interest in Siem Reap
I need to contact a brother in SIEM reap . I have found interest and would like to pass it on to a sister
21st November 2014

A first (for me, at least) Witness based blog
Loved your blog. So encouraging. Feels like I was there in Siem Reap. Pity I never got to go to the Kingdom Hall when I was there last in December 2013. You must go to Siem Reap during the cooler months otherwise you'll soaked all the way through. I didn't encounter huge crowds although I'm told the peak period is from December to January. I loved to visit the Kingdom Halls in Indonesia and Philippines (addresses all listed in the website) Love and greetings from Malaysia.

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0703s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb