You want Tuk Tuk lady?


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
February 27th 2006
Published: February 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi guys,

I guess I should update you on the last few days! Well, kayaking just didn't happen, one beer lead to another and before we knew it we were all having dinner, celebrating the fact that it was KG and mine's last night on Koh Chang. Got rather squiffy, I do remember dancing on the beach about 1.30am (bearing in mind the bar is right on the beach) so a good night was had by all. Got up the next day early to say my goodbyes - Ken, Barry and Kent had already hit the beer at 8.30am (bad canadian boys!) so I left them to it.

Got back to bangkok at 6pm and just crashed. I stayed at the same place as last time - Cheuw cooked the next day, bless him, I think just making sure I'm actually eating! So I got a lift to the border on Friday at Poipet with Cheuw's girlfriend and daughter. I had to leave at 4.30am (me! awake at 4.30am!!) so slept in the car. I've heard different reports on the border crossing, people having to wait for hours, delayed my border guards, but really it only took me about 10 minutes to get across. From Thailand you go through one border control (easy, no problem) then you have to walk about 500 yards to get to the cambodian check point. Between these two points are the biggest gaudiest casinos I have ever seen - gambling of any kind is illegal in Thailand - and apparently they run special buses from Thailand to these places. Once you get over the cambodian side, the differences are glaringly obvious. Even before you get through you are being hassled to get a taxi, buy fruit, books, anything they can possibly sell.

I was lucky, got a free lift to the bus station (the only free thing I am gonna get here I think) and shared a taxi to here with a lovely italian couple from Rome. They don't call it the road to hell for nothing - imagine the worst pot-holed road you have ever been on, times it by 3 hours and add lots of dust and you are some way to understanding what this road is like. Things I have seen on the backs of mopeds: family of 5 (quite usual) ; bicycle; water cooler; three pigs (upside down of course) and about 50 chickens.

Got to Angkor Wat on saturday, (the temple complex) I'll post the pictures soon, and it is everything I thought it would be. I can't convey the feeling of being there, it's a humbling experience. I'm back there today, as spent yesterday in bed - these anti malarial pills don't agree with me one bit! I'll be off to Phenom Penh tomorrow, 6 hour boat trip, so I need to be better for that.

I know - massive update and I still think that's the edited version!

As always - thanks for the messages of support I really appreciate it, keep em coming!

Angie - Mate! Take care of you x x
Paul, don't worry so much I'm not gonna run off with a tuk tuk driver ! x x
Mum I'll call again real soon x x

Love

Anna
xx


Advertisement



27th February 2006

empty desk
seems strange everytime I visit Stockport your not there! Sounds like your having a great time.Look forward to reading your blogs. Take care Phil

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb