Day 49 Monday June 22, 2009


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
June 22nd 2009
Published: July 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 49 Monday June 22, 2009

Had breakfast at the Center Cafe (I'll have to write to the lonely planet about them, they were awesome). "Some of the best things in life are free" so we took a free shuttle to the Les Chantiers Ecoles, the silk farm/ Artisians d' Angkor which is an organization specializing in training young men and women in the art of silk textile weaving. We toured the silk farm where they raised the silk worms (should have stuck a few in my pocket=) and the mulberry trees to feed them. We viewed the production of silk cloth from the first silk worm's cocoon, cleaning, spinning, spooling etc until finally, the weaving stage where they still use hand looms to make meters and meters of beautiful fabric. Unforntunately, the prices were very American and very expensive, so we didn't buy anything. We had a late lunch back at the Le Mairaux restaurant. Our bus left at 7pm from the hotel for Phenom Penh so we could catch our flight back to Bangkok, Thailand to begin our 5 day migration back to the United States.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb