Siem Reap - food


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
July 7th 2009
Published: July 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

I finished off the last blog with it bucketing down. Continued to do so for the rest of the afternoon. So we had a chilling out afternoon. Len and Glenda went down the road just before the rain started to get our washing (was only 300m away). On the way back they got caught for over a hour as the rain was that heavy. Some nice man invited them into his shop to wait it out.

The food we've been eating has been really nice, most of it really fresh and tasty. Breakfast is included in the hotel tariff and usually is pretty basic, egg and baguette with tea/coffee and fruit to finish. We stayed at the Golden Banana in Siem Reap and they charge extra for other dishes (eg musli and pancakes). Len has been having a small problem with his bowels (no, not the squirts) so he's been eating the muslie and weetbix and little bread and white rice. Kyle just wants banana pancakes! Lunch, we tend to have a soup (Phil is into tom yum) Len and I like the khmer spicy soup. Even Kyle is having soup, and he never eats soup at home. He likes the beef noodle soup. Glenda has fried spring rolls most days.

For tea, we only order khmer food, so that is usually fish Amok, khmer chicken curry, Beef loc lak, morning glory, and usually a mango, banana flower or papaya salad.

One night we tried a Cambodian BBQ, what a expensive awful meal. Was a little like the Vietnamese hot pot set up, but in the middle it was a bbq type thing, with a soup stock mix around it. Difficult to explain. We were given veges noodles and rice to put into the stock and we chose pork, chicken, beef, fish, prawn and squid to bbq. The meat came in these tiny little bowls not enough to have fed a fly. Cost $45 including a couple of beers and 2 wines. Was the most awful meal we ate in cambodia. Our average meal for the 5 of us was around $30 including beer and wine.

One night we had a meal at a roadside stall. Again was soup/noodle dish. Very very tasty especially with a dash of chilli. All for a $1 each.
.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb